Default setting: return to thread or return to index?

Started by Antechinus, April 05, 2012, 10:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which option would you prefer?

Return to thread automatically after you post.
34 (82.9%)
Return to message index automatically after you post.
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Antechinus

Question for everyone out there: at the moment SMF is set to return you to the message index after posting by default. Personally I've always hated that, and I know quite a few other people aren't keen on it either. I prefer the other option, where it returns you to the thread itself after you post.

Now for 2.1 we can set it either way. Changing it is easy, so Norv and I figure it should be set by default to whichever option is the most popular.

Pick your preferred option and vote away. Feel free to argue with each other in the thread too. Just keep it clean. Default settings r srs bizness.  :D

ApplianceJunk

First to reply. :)

4th to vote: Return to thread automatically after you post.

Edited to add:

Looks like we have it 100%  4 to 0.

So it's been decided! We win!

Return to thread automatically after you post it is!

;)

Fustrate

It irks me to no end when I get sent back to the message index. Back to the thread!
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Thantos

Back to the index.  Once I've posted I'm done for the time being.

Kindred

Back to the index. Why would I want to go back to the message that's just finished reading and replying to? I want to move on to the next one.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Fustrate

Personally, I like to go back to the topic to see my post in context (to see how foolish I made myself look) and make a quick edit to fix a type that I didn't notice while posting.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

ApplianceJunk

At least it's a option and one that is easy enough to change.

IchBin™

This setting is pointless if we get with the times and use Ajax to post.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: IchBin™ on April 05, 2012, 11:32:18 PM

So what happens after you post if we us Ajax?

Norv

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on April 05, 2012, 11:47:37 PM

You stay on the thread!  :D

* Norv returns to the thread and edits: which is how it should be.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Antechinus

You don't go anywhere at all, which would really annoy Kindred and Thantos. We gotta do this. :D

Matthew K.

AJAX means no page loads for something using JavaScript, most likely jQuery $.ajax(); in this case.

青山 素子

It's a topic, not a thread. Some of you are team and former team. Get the terminology correct.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Chalky

I always want to see my message after I've posted it so I've just voted to return to the thread.  A topic is a bar of chocolate.  Mmmmm....  ;D

emanuele

* emanuele is unsure...

* emanuele now goes to message index. :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Antechinus

Well I hardly ever use post preview because I use quick reply a lot. Even when I use the full reply page, I tend to check my post in the editor and then just post it. 9 times out of 10 it's ok, but I like to see it posted anyway, just to make sure.

Also, I may want to reply to some other posts on the same page, but not want to cram all the replies into one huge post, so that means going back to the THREAD (nya nya) too. Bottom line is that most times I want to go back to the (wait for it) THREAD. :D

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Thantos

Quote from: Antechinus on April 06, 2012, 12:03:31 AM

You don't go anywhere at all, which would really annoy Kindred and Thantos. We gotta do this. :D
If you do Ajax posting (which I fully support) I'd be ok with staying put. 

IchBin™

Along with a checkbox option to not post via ajax but to return to the message index. :D Best of both worlds!
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Advertisement: