News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Default setting: return to thread or return to index?

Started by Antechinus, April 05, 2012, 10:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which option would you prefer?

Return to thread automatically after you post.
34 (82.9%)
Return to message index automatically after you post.
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Chalky

It seems the debate has reignited HERE and I, being a clean freak, decided to reply on the original thread  ;)

Quote from: MrPhil on July 11, 2012, 10:32:28 AM
Personally, I don't even think the option should be offered -- it should go back to the topic listing and that's that. If members can't be bothered to Preview their post (useful for catching accidental smileys!), why should others suffer?

Don't you dare take away the option and force me back to the topic!  I may not want to go there!  Usually the first thing I do after posting is go to the Who's Online to see if anyone's reading it yet  :-[

I preview, in fact I usually preview at least twice before submitting my post.  It doesn't mean I could live with not seeing my post in situ after submitting.  Another important consideration that I didn't mention last time is the line spacing.  When you preview your post, you see it taking the whole width of the screen, but after you post, the avatar and all the stuff to the left knocks the line spacing out.  Many times I have realised only after posting that on the finished topic view, my smileys, in-line attachments, etc, appear on the wrong lines, or with the wrong spacing, and have had to edit even just to manually add line breaks so that all the bits and bobs are aesthetically optimised - I hate the spacing being "off"!

It has nothing to do with lazy, in fact if anything, it's much more work to keep adjusting your post, before and after submitting, in order to get it just right.

Another consideration is that I have been known to preview the message, then navigate away from the page, thinking it has been posted when it hasn't.  Seeing the posted message in situ is another check that I really did hit the "Post" button  O:)

It's all a matter of personal preference of course, but this is mine, and as preferences go, it's a strong one!  :)

Arantor

QuoteDon't you dare take away the option and force me back to the topic

Um, that's not what he's saying. He's saying to take away the option and just go back to the list of topics (i.e. what SMF does by default)

青山 素子

Quote from: Sabrinova on July 11, 2012, 12:30:30 PM
Another important consideration that I didn't mention last time is the line spacing.  When you preview your post, you see it taking the whole width of the screen, but after you post, the avatar and all the stuff to the left knocks the line spacing out.  Many times I have realised only after posting that on the finished topic view, my smileys, in-line attachments, etc, appear on the wrong lines, or with the wrong spacing, and have had to edit even just to manually add line breaks so that all the bits and bobs are aesthetically optimised - I hate the spacing being "off"!

Keep in mind that the defaut SMF theme is fluid. Someone with a different resolution or different browser width than you (or even different fonts!) will see it differently. If you need absolute control over layout, make a PDF and post that.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Chalky

Quote from: Arantor on July 11, 2012, 12:37:18 PM
QuoteDon't you dare take away the option and force me back to the topic

Um, that's not what he's saying. He's saying to take away the option and just go back to the list of topics (i.e. what SMF does by default)

Um, yeah, I meant topic list, not topic - doh!  See, sometimes two previews plus seeing it in situ just isn't enough  :P  Scrap the jargon, I want to see my post after I post it  ;)

Kindred

I reiterate my original statement regarding you folks...   you're weird.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Chalky

Quote from: Kindred on July 11, 2012, 01:03:19 PM

We might be weird, but according to the poll up top, we outnumber you

IchBin™

Quote from: Sabrinova on July 11, 2012, 01:18:25 PM
Quote from: Kindred on July 11, 2012, 01:03:19 PM

We might be weird, but according to the poll up top, we outnumber you

Just goes to show why there's so much prozac going around.  ;D
IchBin™        TinyPortal

kat

Chalky

Quote from: K@ on July 11, 2012, 03:26:08 PM
The lunatics have taken over the asylum!!!

Oi!  I'm not crazy, I'm just a different kind of normal  ;)

And I say back to view the topic after you post is THE way to go!  Not through can't be bothered, or narcissism, though maybe a little compulsion is involved somewhere   O:)

kat

I often see typos, there, rather than in "Preview", for some reason.

Senility, probably.

Advertisement: