News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Forum Hacked...need help!

Started by bestfriendavinash, April 09, 2012, 01:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestfriendavinash

Dear Friends...

I've started a SMF forum to learn more about hosting and PHP, MYSQL. But some how the site has been hacked... there was approx 2000 topics and 10000 + posts. The hackers have replced the index.php . My Server Host told me there are few other sites are whoch also have been hacked. They told me restoring only index.php will solve the problem. But at the moment I dont have the file.. How can I get index.php

Further if I wish to temporally stop the forum for a couple of month, what backup should I have to restart the forum... Only MySql data base will be enough or not...?

Thanks in advance

Joseph H

Did u do a back up lately? If you did then use that back up. Or if you find a file named index.php~ just rename it to index.php
Cheap webhosting +24 hours

bestfriendavinash

BlondChick

First make a backup of your database and your server.

Download SMF (version of your forum) and unpack it somewhere on your computer. Upload index.php to your server. Check your forum.

It's best to make a backup from your forum and it's database when you stop the forum for a couple of months. It's also good practice to backup your forum frequently.

bestfriendavinash

Quote from: BlondChick on April 09, 2012, 06:21:50 AM
First make a backup of your database and your server.

Download SMF (version of your forum) and unpack it somewhere on your computer. Upload index.php to your server. Check your forum.

It's best to make a backup from your forum and it's database when you stop the forum for a couple of months. It's also good practice to backup your forum frequently.

Will this index.php work... I mean this file is meant for installation of SMF

Marcus Forsberg

If you haven't installed any mod that edits index.php, then that default file from the installation package will work fine.

bestfriendavinash

Quote from: Marcus Forsberg on April 09, 2012, 07:09:25 AM
If you haven't installed any mod that edits index.php, then that default file from the installation package will work fine.

but I've installed lots of mods

Joseph H

Quote from: bestfriendavinash on April 09, 2012, 09:07:26 AM

if you installed a lot of mods then there must be that index.php~ which is a back up
Cheap webhosting +24 hours

bestfriendavinash

Quote from: Donnxxl on April 09, 2012, 09:27:13 AM
Quote from: bestfriendavinash on April 09, 2012, 09:07:26 AM

if you installed a lot of mods then there must be that index.php~ which is a back up

probably its not there...

I was running on SMF 1.1.11... Can I reinstall SMF 1.1.16 or SMF 2.X..? Will it work? But for this I dont have the password of MySQL data base... hope there will be some option to reset the password.

bestfriendavinash

I tired to install SMF 2.0.2 but the database is not working... what to do?  :(

Чичо ви Гого

It's a very good practice to backup your forum frequently. I wish you good luck: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=400356.0

Probably it will help you!

bestfriendavinash

MySQL data is safe... how can I re install?

bestfriendavinash

I have uploaded MySQL data, then installed SMF 1.1.11. At my first attempt I installed and created a database as SMF use to do while installation... then tried to connect the database with help of repair_settings.php but it doesnot worked. Then I take another attempt where I installed the SMF but didnot created new database, but put the values of my existing database details. At the stage of username and password I created a new id. Even after this the old members and topic/posts are not visible. What to do...?

Can any one do it for me...? I'm willing to change my host now... I'm fadeup with them and according will change the forum url also. I have only my previous MySQL database and willing to upgrade to SMF 2.0.2

bestfriendavinash

I've done it... dont know how...but done it!!Upgraded to SMF2.0.2 as well.

But have to change the domain name...will it be a big deal for a new person like me?

The SMF manual is just awesome!!

Thank you guys! Marked as solved...but do reply about change in domain name!

Advertisement: