News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Add a switch to turn off the "Latest Packages"

Started by NanoSector, April 10, 2012, 10:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSector

Quote from: emanuele on April 11, 2012, 10:52:12 AM
Quote from: Yoshi2889 on April 11, 2012, 09:06:22 AM
Why not have a switch to have links or the fetching?
It *is* fetched daily with a scheduled task.
Do you want to get rid of it?
Open {db_prefix}admin_info_files and delete the row latest-packages.js. Gone and it will never return.
In the page you'll the "fetching" message and that's all.
Why is is so much trouble to just understand people want to get rid of it after all, without hacking into SMF?

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on April 11, 2012, 08:51:39 AM
You see, not only the users that know much about mods have issues with this box. There's lots of websites that don't even use mods, or don't want to use them.
Then why are they going in the package manager? :P
Yeah you have a point lol. But still we're not the only ones.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

emanuele

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on April 11, 2012, 10:53:59 AM
Why is is so much trouble to just understand people want to get rid of it after all, without hacking into SMF?
I'm giving you a simple way to get rid of it now without even touch the template.
If you don't want it I can delete my post.

It's the second time I've seen such request (first was from Ant... :P), so I have no idea if it is really a popular request or just the request of two people. ;)

For example I'm not annoyed by it because I open the package manager once every...oh heck I don't even remember the last time I opened the package manager of my on-line forum...oh yes, for the last patch, right...and BTW I have (almost) always javascript disabled so it I don't even see it! :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Matthew K.

Haha emanuele, very nice point about Package Manager. That was hilarious.

NanoSector

Quote from: emanuele on April 11, 2012, 11:11:17 AM
Quote from: Yoshi2889 on April 11, 2012, 10:53:59 AM
I'm giving you a simple way to get rid of it now without even touch the template.
If you don't want it I can delete my post.
I'm not saying it's stupid information, but this is not what the topic is about.

It's the second time I've seen such request (first was from Ant... :P), so I have no idea if it is really a popular request or just the request of two people. ;)
Seems it's popular, then. It's totally driving me crazy, that boxes. Today I opened my Admin Panel and Moderation Center and I had to wait 15 whopping seconds for each bloody News box to load before I could finally do something!

For example I'm not annoyed by it because I open the package manager once every...oh heck I don't even remember the last time I opened the package manager of my on-line forum...oh yes, for the last patch, right...and BTW I have (almost) always javascript disabled so it I don't even see it! :P
That's not the point. The point is that WHEN you open it you get annoyed by that stupid box. And it's not only me where it succeeds to drive someone crazy, there's probably a ton of more users around there that's staring at the screen waiting hopelessly for those boxes to load.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Robert.

What about adding the setting but disable it by default? This would still allow people to have their news boxes etc, but it also decreases the bandwith of this site. :)

Matthew K.

It wouldn't decrease bandwidth....although it would for SimpleMachines itself.

NanoSector

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on April 11, 2012, 11:45:00 AM
It wouldn't decrease bandwidth....although it would for SimpleMachines itself.
That's what he's saying :P

Matthew K.

Meh I was on my phone and just skimmed it :P MY bad

Antechinus

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on April 11, 2012, 11:22:37 AM
Seems it's popular, then. It's totally driving me crazy, that boxes. Today I opened my Admin Panel and Moderation Center and I had to wait 15 whopping seconds for each bloody News box to load before I could finally do something!

Ed Zachary. :D The news is handy when there is a patch released. That notification should always be there, but anything else could be set to on-call-by-user IMO.

Matthew K.

Antechinus

Basically you could just echo the js on click, if you want to retrieve things the way they're done now, or alternatively just provide a link here.

emanuele

BTW removing the file from the database fills a bit of errors in the log... :P

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

NanoSector

Quote from: emanuele on April 12, 2012, 11:47:55 AM
BTW removing the file from the database fills a bit of errors in the log... :P
Meh who cares about the errors *whistles*

Though really, get rid of the news box, or at least have users turn it off. There's a "Lastest Version" thing anyway.

Antechinus

On second thought I can't be bothered writing and supporting a mod for this. Got too many other things to do. I'll just hack my template one day when I feel like it. If anyone else wants to write the mod, go for it.

Matthew K.

* Labradoodle-360 runs not me :P Already took up another project.

NanoSector

Not for me either...with the same reason lol.

emanuele

ohhh...

<?php
updatesettings
(array('disable_smf_js' => 1));

mod done.

Unfortunately it removes *all* the scripts from SMF, updates included.

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

NanoSector

Quote from: emanuele on April 18, 2012, 05:19:07 AM
Unfortunately it removes *all* the scripts from SMF, updates included.
That's why it ain't that easy ::)

Antechinus

Oh bugger this. I'll sort the code changes for a simple version today. Someone else can package it and answer questions about the thing. :D

Matthew K.

Shoot me a PM when you have the write ups...I might do it. We'll see.

Advertisement: