News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How do I hide the "RE:"

Started by Fernando Rocker, April 14, 2012, 08:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernando Rocker

As you can see... every post has the "RE: Name of the thread."

How do I hide it? I just want the title to be displayed once, at the top, not in every message!

TheListener

Is this any use to you?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3004

Have a look at the Mod Emulate link in my signature.

Antechinus

I think he wants to hide the whole title. Easiest way to do that is to just add this to the end of index.css:

.keyinfo h5 {visibility: hidden; height: 10px;}

You don't want to actually delete the title from the template, because it's used for linking quotes, etc.

Also, don't use display: none; (which is the other way of hiding things) because that will also break the link by preventing it being echoed to the browser at all. Using display: hidden means it's still there but you just can't see it. It's sneaky CSS. ;)

The height: 10px; just leaves the Reply# stuff at the right height.

Fernando Rocker

Thanks, Antechinus.

I'm gonna try it and I will post results.

Fernando Rocker

Well... I'm new at this, and maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Nothing happened. But maybe it was because I am doing it wrong. I'm attaching an image. Am I doing it wrong?

Antechinus

Yeah I tested it on local with inline css, then just assumed that would transfer to index.css. It doesn't though, which I suspect is something to do with the javascript that handles quick editing of the thread title. That's nasty. :P

However, it does work if you use inline css for the changes. I came up with a slight tweak, which also leaves you a visible link to the post, in case you want to link someone to it. Do it like this:

Display.template.php:

Find: <h5 id="subject_', $message['id'], '">
<a href="', $message['href'], '" rel="nofollow">', $message['subject'], '</a>
</h5>
<div class="smalltext">&#171; <strong>', !empty($message['counter']) ? $txt['reply_noun'] . ' #' . $message['counter'] : '', ' ', $txt['on'], ':</strong> ', $message['time'], ' &#187;</div>

Replace: <h5 id="subject_', $message['id'], '">
<a href="', $message['href'], '" rel="nofollow" class="hidden" style="visibility: hidden;">', $message['subject'], '</a>
<span class="smalltext" style="font-weight: normal; display: block; margin-top: -10px;"><a href="', $message['href'], '" rel="nofollow" title="', $message['subject'], '" style="font-weight: bold;">', !empty($message['counter']) ? $txt['reply_noun'] . ' #' . $message['counter'] : 'OP', ':</a> ', $message['time'], '</span>
</h5>

Note that I haven't played with the javascript, so if you use the quick edit on a post it will show the title again once you save. This is only temporary though, and refreshing the page will hide the edited title again.

Changing message icons doesn't make the title show, and neither does changing the title via the full edit page. It's only a temp thing with quick edit. :)

Fernando Rocker

Fernando Rocker

Antechinus

Welcome. It does look a lot better like that. I might even zip it as a mod, just for fun. :)

Fernando Rocker

Quote from: Antechinus on April 15, 2012, 12:59:55 AM
Welcome. It does look a lot better like that. I might even zip it as a mod, just for fun. :)

Definitely. It looks way cleaner that way.

Antechinus

We're already planning on doing something like that for 2.1. Most of us are totally over looking at the title in every post.

Fernando Rocker

Quote from: Antechinus on April 15, 2012, 01:02:24 AM
We're already planning on doing something like that for 2.1. Most of us are totally over looking at the title in every post.

Nice!

Do you have an estimated date of when 2.1 is going to be released?

You guys should include a lot of options to hide things that people probably won't need so the boards could look cleaner. For example... options to remove the RE: Title (like you just did here), hide the post count under avatars, hide the ip thing, etc...

Antechinus

Ah. Funny you should mention that. :D

These are just ideas I'm playing with at the moment. May be in 2.1. May not. We'll see.

Fernando Rocker

Oh my God... that looks amazing.

Very clean. I love it.

You guys are very talented.

Antechinus

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it might be a winner then. :D

Colin

Agreed, that looks very good!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Fernando Rocker

I'm going to add a last comment.

I know this is not the right place, but this is just a suggestion. For 2.1, you guys should add an achievement system, just like XenForo.

Advertisement: