News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Forum Board Category Problem

Started by pokedwhenever, April 15, 2012, 12:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokedwhenever

I've just installed SMF and I'm a bit of a noob about this kind of stuff. I'm sorry if the fix is extremely simple.

I used a domain hosting site to set up the initial boards, but now I actually want to start modifying them. When I go into Admin>Forums>Modify, I don't see any boards for me to modify. I think it is because my initial boards were not under a category and therefore do not show up under modify.

My site is named playmaf. com.

As you can see, I made a category for general manually, but I have no way of deleting the other boards I have created.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ApplianceJunk

What version of SMF are you using?

Edited to add: I see it's 2.0.2
That's odd. I can't recreate the problem. I wonder if it has anything to do with your theme.
Even with a fresh install of SMF when you create a board you already have the General Category, so I don't see how you can create a new board and not put it in a category.

pokedwhenever

ApplianceJunk

I should have seen that, sorry.
I edited my post above.

Colin

Do you have access to the database? (PHPmyadmin in cPanel).

If you do we can see where those boards are coming from and possibly modify them directly from the database.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

pokedwhenever

Quote from: Colin on April 15, 2012, 01:11:53 AM
Do you have access to the database? (PHPmyadmin in cPanel).

If you do we can see where those boards are coming from and possibly modify them directly from the database.
I'm not sure? How would I gain access to the database?

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

pokedwhenever

Basically, when I signed up with them, they offered to install SMF for me and asked if I wanted them to set up the boards for me. I answered yes, and the site prompted me with a box to add boards to the site. I just added a few random ones because I assumed I could modify them later.

Now, I realize I can't :(

Colin

Yep, sorry to ask that, just checked the whois record anyways. Site ground runs cPanel so log into your account and select phpmyadmin inside of cPanel. Select your SMF database. Then select smf_boards table and take note of what data is in there.

Colin

Colin

I think I see an issue. One of the boards doesn't seem to have a name. Once you pull up your boards table let me know. We can add a name to it and that might resolve the issue of it not showing up in the back end of SMF.

Colin

pokedwhenever

pokedwhenever

NVM, Thanks a lot Colin. I figured it out. You're the man.

ApplianceJunk

Care to share with us just what you did to solve your problem?

pokedwhenever

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on April 15, 2012, 02:20:50 AM
Care to share with us just what you did to solve your problem?
I just deleted all the boards by selecting them in phpMyAdmin and clicking that 'x' at the bottom. I'm gonna make new ones, so I don't need those old ones anyway. Those were only made for testing purposes.

Colin

Glad I could help. Be sure to stop by again if you have another question or just want to say Hi! Have a great day.

Colin

Advertisement: