PHP Upgrade Causing Errors

Started by BillLeeDee, April 14, 2012, 07:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillLeeDee

My virtual hosting provider recently updated PHP to version 5.3.10 and MySQL to version 5.1.61-cll. I had noting a somewhat large PHP5 error log in my SMF directory with this error repeated numerous times for three solid minutes:

3-Apr-2012 20:00:21 UTC] PHP Warning:  mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be resource, boolean given in /home/accountname/public_html/domaindirectory/smf/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 132

Like anybody else they passed the buck and said I am not sure what this would mean for the software that the PHP warning is for but my suggestion would be to contact the developers of the software and see if they know of any bugs with their software and PHP 5.3. Our support does not cover the web development side of things so you will need to address this issue.

Are there any issues with PHP 5.3 and SMF 2.0.2 that would cause this or is my hosting provider blowing hot air at me? The installation had been working without issue prior to the upgrade of PHP.

青山 素子

Interesting. SMF should work just fine with PHP 5.3, there are a lot of people using this configuration.

I have a feeling that the problem may be in the MySQL changes. The error message is valid, but it shouldn't show up unless there is an issue with the database connection (or a programming error).
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Colin

If you are permitted to edit the php.ini then you could try to rollback your PHP version to if that was the issue. I too find it hard to believe that could be causing it though.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

BillLeeDee

The errors had ceased not long after contacting the server host's tech support so I would not be surprised if they tweaked something. Thank you for your feedback on this.

Colin

Glad you got it working. *Marking topic as solved.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Advertisement: