Just made test forum - arcade freezing up

Started by Chalky, April 22, 2012, 01:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalky

I just made a test forum following the instructions here, in order to test the quality of my backups more than anything else and for peace of mind that I will be able to restore my forum should the worst happen.

I'm actually really pleased with how it's gone.  At first I couldn't see the login page due to an error message informing me of a syntax error in subs-hideimages.php on line 1, and indeed the code was all on one line, so I added a couple of carriage returns which seemed to fix it.  I have now logged in to the test site, made a test post, and all my members, posts, attachments and avatars appear to still be there.  It had changed to the default theme, but my custom theme was there so I was able to change it in admin.  All good so far...

However, after playing a game in the arcade, the game just freezes at the point it should be submitting the score and will not allow me to even click either submit or restart.  There is no error message, the game simply hangs up and the scores are not saved.  This applies to all games I have tested so far.

Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?  It still works fine on my main forum.

Colin

Can we get a link to the page where the game is?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

busterone

Not knowing which arcade you are using, it is a guess. I use E-Arcade, which is based on SMF Arcade.  I have never used SMF arcade, so like I said, it is a guess. Look in the arcade's administrative area. In mine, if I move a site or set up a test forum, the game's urls and absolute paths must be manually changed. Repair_settings.php doesn't touch those.  If your test forum has been moved to a different domain or even a different directory, then the absolute paths will certainly not be correct. It may be attempting to play the games and save the scores on the original forum and database instead of the new one.

Chalky

Quote from: busterone on April 22, 2012, 01:32:30 PM
Not knowing which arcade you are using, it is a guess. I use E-Arcade, which is based on SMF Arcade.  I have never used SMF arcade, so like I said, it is a guess. Look in the arcade's administrative area. In mine, if I move a site or set up a test forum, the game's urls and absolute paths must be manually changed. Repair_settings.php doesn't touch those.  If your test forum has been moved to a different domain or even a different directory, then the absolute paths will certainly not be correct. It may be attempting to play the games and save the scores on the original forum and database instead of the new one.

It's SMF Arcade and you were spot on!!  The arcade settings were still pointing to my main forum rather than the test domain.  Problem solved, thank you :)  I now have peace of mind

Colin

Glad you got it working. Be sure to stop by again if you have any other questions.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

busterone

Chalky

Thank you both of you for jumping to my rescue  :)

Advertisement: