News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

URGENT!!! FORUM GONE???

Started by Ruddy Kitty, April 23, 2012, 11:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruddy Kitty

My server had some strange error where it said my account had been suspended. My host transferred my information to a new server, except there is so much missing it's ridiculous. The newest posts are back from 2010 and hundreds of people that had signed up, threads, posts, and even my preferences and themes are all gone. It's like it is set back to an earlier state.

My host is saying all the info is the same and matches what was there before, but I can assure you it is not.

Please, someone help me before I break down and freak out.

Tony Reid

It sounds like your host deleted your account when they suspended your site - and then restored from a backup.

Tony Reid

Ruddy Kitty

But my account was suspended for no reason. I've all been paid and everything, and they even said they had no idea why it said it was suspended.

All my info is still up in the files... can I reload it up? Like, reinstall the forum? However my ftp is being weird and I can't use it.

Tony Reid

Let them know the mysql data is old, and ask them to retrieve a backup from the old server.

It does sound like they messed up to me though.

Tony Reid

Ruddy Kitty

Okay, I'll definitely let them know that's what is the old part. I know they definitely messed up lol.

But it seems like all my old files, themes and such are still on the host. Could I bring it back by reinstalling the forum with install.php? Or do I have to wait for them to transfer the mysql data?

EDIT: contacted them and they said the mysql database is up to date. I call bull. What else can I do at this point?

MrPhil

Too late for you now, but always keep your own backups of both the files and the database, offsite.

If they took your database back 2 years and claim it's up to date, it's time to start looking for a lawyer/solicitor.  If a legal battle is not worth the trouble, dump them as a host and make sure you have nothing nice to say about them (but make sure you can back up any statements with proof).

Accounts can get suspended for all sorts of things (excuses). Maybe you went over some secret limit on resource usage. But to claim they have no idea why they suspended you boggles my mind...

Ruddy Kitty

I'm begging them to keep looking at this point. It's not just any forum, it's a roleplaying forum, and each thread is a huge ongoing story and fantasies playing out. It's CRUCIAL I get that back.

They didn't even know I had been suspended if that tells you anything. I can't stand this host. This WILL BE the last straw.

MrPhil

Well, you've certainly found your cure for optimism! :(  Even if they manage to locate the correct backup tape and get you back, their bumbling is intolerable. Look for a new host.

mimmi7

mind telling us who your host is?

Ruddy Kitty

Ruddy Kitty

They are telling me "As for the database, you can remove the username for the database, and recreate it to have it connect to it."

Should I even attempt this or will this guarantee that my info will be gone?

And now I can't get my forum out of maintenance mode despite the settings being at 0. This is just perfect.

busterone

I am sorry you are experiencing this. In the future, to prevent this from happening again, you should always do regular backups of your database yourself and keep a copy offsite, on your hard drive, a thumbdrive,  or anywhere you feel safe. Even the best hosts can botch a backup occasionally.
I hope that you can find a recent backup.

Ruddy Kitty

They were able to get it back except for a few posts from each member.

In the meantime, I have gone and registered with a new host. How do I go about transferring my forum?

EDIT: I'm trying to make a back up of my forum and it's not letting me download a backup, but it's giving me an entire HUGE page with a bunch of weird scripted text?

Colin

Sorry about your bad experience. Yes that file with wierd stuff is an SQL Dump and will allow you to restore your forum on your new host.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

But the weird thing is, it's not letting me download it. Why is that? It's showing it as a page, not a download.

Colin

I'm not sure. What you could do though is simply copy and paste that to notepad and save it as an SQL file type.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Colin

Have you tried downloading it on a different browser?

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

Quote from: Colin on April 23, 2012, 07:47:27 PM
I'm not sure. What you could do though is simply copy and paste that to notepad and save it as an SQL file type.

I didn't try it in a different browser but I just copied everything. Took me a good chunk of time, but I did it, haha.

I'm also using ftp to save all my files onto my desktop. I'm paranoid now and I don't care how long it takes to transfer.

So on the new web host, will I have to install the forum, or do I just transfer my files over and it'll be done?

Colin

On your new host you will transfer all of your files over, create a database through their control panel, import the SQL dump from SMF, change settings.php to reflect the new database and path changes.

Thinking about it now, you should actually not use the SMF SQL dump that is known to be corrupt. Do you know how to access PHPMyAdmin?

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

Yes, I do.

I also got a few error lines while copying the SQL code:

MySQL server has gone away
File: /home/FORUM/public_html/forum2/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 2479

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be resource, boolean given in /home/FORUM/public_html/forum2/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 143

I replaced the directory with FORUM for security measures...

Advertisement: