News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

URGENT!!! FORUM GONE???

Started by Ruddy Kitty, April 23, 2012, 11:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

Ok, don't worry about that. Let's have you download a backup of the SQL dump from PHPMyAdmin. Do you know how to do that?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

No, I'm not sure. Sorry! I hope it's not a problem for you to explain it to me x.x

Colin

Ok, once you have logged into PHPmyadmin select the database where SMF is installed to. Then select export and then go at the bottom. It should start the download.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

Okay, awesome. I'll do that once they let me log in. x.x for some reason the log in info they updated to won't let me log in and the server shows a red x. It also doesn't show my SQL server?

Colin

Hmm, I have never hosted with Godaddy so I can't help you too much there. I do know they have a custom panel though.

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

I'm not with GoDaddy XD

But I sent them yet ANOTHER trouble ticket about it. I hate this host. So glad I'll be transferring.

Colin

Uh yeah, have you read any of the horror stories?

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

I can only imagine x.x I know godaddy isn't good to start with, though. I didn't transfer to them, unless I'd want to, you know, commit suicide from the terrible.

Colin

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

I can import DNS records to the new site using a DNS server. Should I do that instead of downloading my whole forum? It's taking many many hours...

EDIT: did you mean phpPgAdmin or phpMyAdmin? NEVERMIND I got it downloaded.

Colin

Sorry I missed this. Ok, so are you all set?

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

I hope so. I uploaded all my files to the new host, as well as uploaded the SQL dump to the import with DNS (hope that was right) and am changing the settings.php. I can't really do anything until the domain name transfers over, however.

Colin

Sure you can. You can either manually flush your DNS and view the change or access your new site from [ServerIP]/~[username]

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

How would I "manually flush" my DNS?

Colin

Start -> Run

Type CMD hit enter

Type ipconfig /flushdns hit enter

Restart your browser.

Colin

Ruddy Kitty

Alright, that was successful, however I still can't access my forum... Do I need to use the repair_settings.php?

Tony Reid

Tony Reid

Ruddy Kitty

The problem is, it won't let me run it. The page doesn't come up, cannot be displayed etc.

nevermind, I got it.

However...

Settings.php cannot be written to by your webserver. Please modify the permissions on this file to allow write access.

Tony Reid

chmod settings.php to 755 (or 777 if that fails)
Tony Reid

Ruddy Kitty

x.x I'm sorry, where exactly is that? I looked in the settings.php and don't see anything like that, or is it in the settings_bak.php?

Advertisement: