Unable to Post topics, or modify posts

Started by GarfieldP, April 25, 2012, 06:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GarfieldP

I recently installed aeva media and smf arcade, and now I am unable to post anything on the forum.  Is there any common reasons, or should I upload an important file for someone to see if there is any errors?

GarfieldP

I am not exactly sure why the post function stopped working.  When a user presses the post button, the user is directed to a white screen.  The URL changes to extension index.php?action=post2;start=0;board=14 but does not do anything more.  If it helps, I edited a subs.php during the aeva install.  That is all I know, if you would like to view it yourself, the link is:

http://garfieldp.com/forum

Thanks again K@   :)

kat

No problem! :)

Any chance of a temporary account, so we can try the Post button?

GarfieldP

kat

GarfieldP

kat

Got it.

Seems you can get as far as typing the post. But, when you hit "Post" everything goes blank and the same thing's happening, if you try to reply to a topic, too.

Soooo...

What if you rename Subs.php to Sub0.php and put a virgin copy of the file in it's place?

That might narrow things down, a bit.

If all else fails, you DID backup, before you installed the mods, didn't you?

If not, you might need this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=400356.0

GarfieldP

that does not seem to work, same blank screen, I have no idea what the issue is

ApplianceJunk

Quotethat does not seem to work, same blank screen,

What does not seem to work? Did you try both suggestions?

QuoteWhat if you rename Subs.php to Sub0.php and put a virgin copy of the file in it's place?

QuoteIf all else fails, you DID backup, before you installed the mods, didn't you?

If not, you might need this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=400356.0

GarfieldP

to both those possibilities, none worked.  I checked the CPanel error log and discovered the following was occurring regularly,

Quote[Fri Apr 27 17:15:11 2012] [error] [client 69.108.106.2] File does not exist: /home2/garfield/public_html/404.shtml
[Fri Apr 27 17:15:11 2012] [error] [client 69.108.106.2] File does not exist: /home2/garfield/public_html/index.php
[Fri Apr 27 17:15:06 2012] [error] [client 69.108.106.2] File does not exist: /home2/garfield/public_html/404.shtml
[Fri Apr 27 17:15:06 2012] [error] [client 69.108.106.2] File does not exist: /home2/garfield/public_html/index.php

I reverted to an old manage_settings.php, and and old display.php because I had personally had to edit these to work with my other mods.  Again, this did not work. 

I am now going to try uninstalling the share topic mod, because I think it is one of the only mods installed that deals exclusively with forum posts.

GarfieldP

Uninstalling share this topic did not work  :(

NOTE!: RSS FEED POSTER IS STILL POSTING NEW TOPICS SOMEHOW
maybe that narrows it down a little

kat

[Fri Apr 27 17:15:06 2012] [error] [client 69.108.106.2] File does not exist: /home2/garfield/public_html/index.php

Odd. If that file's not there, your forum wouldn't work, at all.

So, I'm confuzzled.

GarfieldP

Well, I have the forum located in /public_html/forum/ so it seems like it is pointing to the wrong area somewhere.

kat

And you tried this http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=400356.0 using the backup file for whichever of those two mods you installed first?

GarfieldP

problem was aeva media, I uninstalled it.  Posting worked.  Installed in back using emulation.  Looked good. Now the whole site shows blank screens!!!  So, I am reverting back to a backup as you have shown earlier K@.

GarfieldP

yes, it does work, however there are still remnants of Aeva Media.  Its in the menu still... 

(it may go on error in the next hour or so during some tests)

kat

Probably best to look at AEVA's parser and check the edits have been reversed.

Not having a dig, here (Much ;) ), but I'm surprised that a seasoned campaigner, like you, didn't backup before you installed these mods, mate.

Had a thought, though. Does your host keep backups of stuff?

You might just get lucky.

My host keeps backups for ages and takes them very regularly and often, too. :)

GarfieldP

my host does, and yes its embarrassing to me too!  :-[ I was redoing the forum from scratch so I was like "Whats the worst that could happen?"

I will contact them and see if they can help.  Thanks for the help so far, much obliged!

kat

Advertisement: