Help! ERROR MESSAGE: Cache directory not writable

Started by moonwalker777, April 25, 2012, 11:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonwalker777

!!
Performance Warning

The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum.

Hi Everyone,

I get the above error message not all the time, but about once or twice an hour while using my forum.  My hosting provider is GoDaddy and it is running on a Windows server.

I called GoDaddy technical support and he walked me through a web based GUI interface where I was able to change give READ and WRITE permissions to the cache directory.

I thought that would help, but the error keeps popping up occasionally as it did before.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?  And also, why doesn't it happen consistently only every now and then?

Also, in the cache section of the administration panel, I see SMF has not been able to detect a compatible accelerator on your server.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

moonwalker777

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the post.  Is it just me, or does that fix seem to apply to a Linux based server?
Mine is running Windows.  Is there a different fix that would apply in my case?

Thanks!

Colin

Doi. Sorry about that. I don't know if there is a windows based tutorial, but I think the steps below could be taken and made into a windows tutorial without too much trouble.

========================
STEPS

1) Download source
cd /usr/local/src/
wget http://bart.eaccelerator.net/source/0.9.5.2/eaccelerator-0.9.5.2.tar.bz2
bunzip2 eaccelerator-0.9.5.2.tar.bz2; tar -xf eaccelerator-0.9.5.2.tar
cd eaccelerator-0.9.5.2

2) Install
phpize
./configure --with-eaccelerator-content-caching
make
make install

3) Configure
Edit the php.ini file

eAccelerator can be installed both as Zend or PHP extension. Add the following line in the file php.ini

extension="eaccelerator.so" <= PHP Extension

You need to edit your php.ini file (usually /usr/local/lib/php.ini).
Add the following parameters at the bottom end of php.ini

eaccelerator.shm_size="16"
eaccelerator.cache_dir="/tmp/eaccelerator"
eaccelerator.enable="1"
eaccelerator.optimizer="1"
eaccelerator.check_mtime="1"
eaccelerator.debug="0"
eaccelerator.filter=""
eaccelerator.shm_max="0"
eaccelerator.shm_ttl="0"
eaccelerator.shm_prune_period="0"
eaccelerator.shm_only="0"
eaccelerator.compress="1"
eaccelerator.compress_level="9"

4) Creating cache directory

mkdir /tmp/eaccelerator
chmod 0777 /tmp/eaccelerator

========================
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Srbin

Quote from: moonwalker777 on April 25, 2012, 11:49:55 PM
!!
Performance Warning

The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum.

Hi Everyone,

I get the above error message not all the time, but about once or twice an hour while using my forum.  My hosting provider is GoDaddy and it is running on a Windows server.

I called GoDaddy technical support and he walked me through a web based GUI interface where I was able to change give READ and WRITE permissions to the cache directory.

I thought that would help, but the error keeps popping up occasionally as it did before.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?  And also, why doesn't it happen consistently only every now and then?

Also, in the cache section of the administration panel, I see SMF has not been able to detect a compatible accelerator on your server.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

I have the same problem, really annoying. :(
So slow and same message:
The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum
Godaddy windows hosting plan. Are you solve problem please HELP!?

icealford

I have the same problem as well. Can anyone help please?

icealford

Colin

You can follow the same steps accept just manually download the source and write a simple PHP script to handle the chmodding

<?php
chmod
("testdir/testdir/chmodme.php"0755);
?>

Colin

icealford

Seems as if go daddy will not let me use cpanel to install the eaccelerator. Are there any other options for me to install eaccelerator

Colin

Quote from: icealford on July 19, 2012, 05:33:43 PM
Seems as if go daddy will not let me use cpanel to install the eaccelerator. Are there any other options for me to install eaccelerator
Uh yeah. Install it the way I detailed how to above.

Colin

Advertisement: