News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Manual Import problem : web Wiz to smf

Started by arya, August 01, 2006, 11:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arya

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
I was trying to make a convertor for Web Wiz forums to SMF. I'm new to php so wasnt really able to hack the code and suit it to my needs....so i started taking sql dumps of each table and inserting it into newly setup smf database. Everything has been fine.

i was able to import
users
categories
boards
topics

They are all threaded alright and linked properly.

private messages are not all that important to me or board members...so they can be dropped

problem i"m facing is that the topics do not display page links to second or further pages of post. all i can see is a single page of posts displaying first 10 posts in that topic. Till now i've updated only one "log" table  "smf_log_topics". I dont know what I am missing here, Please let me know if you need more details. sorry for any mistakes, my keyboard is acting funny

thanks

arya

nevermind! i rewrote the sql query to fetch numReplies for smf_topics, which wasnt present earlier. its all fine now

H

arya could you please post the converter so it can be used by others :)

If only this had been around when I converted in August :P
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

arya

I will for sure. first i have to finish testing it. however i'll need help from some people who can tweak the convertor.

btw good to see you huvnet. now i know why you were missing from soop and ww forums. would you mind telling me how did you manage to move the boards? any tip will help.

thanks

H

btw good to see you huvnet. now i know why you were missing from soop and ww forums. would you mind telling me how did you manage to move the boards? any tip will help.

In the end I just dumped my db and started fresh as it was the easiest method.

If you've got a big db with a lot of useful stuff in the easiest way is WWF > phpbb > SMF.

The WWF > phpbb is documentated on the phpbb, the difficult bit is converting from Access > MySQL which messed up. Now MySQL have released the migration wizard so it should be easier.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

teknohippy

I've just manually converted from WWF (soop raven) to SMF, all on a windows machine. Thought I'd post my experience.

I installed one of those PHP, mySQL, Apache all in one windows things and got an empty SMF running.

First I cleaned up the Access DB and added some references that SMF needed, first and last message IDs mainly. Had to write a bit of ASP to do that and loop through some stuff that I couldn't do with SQL statements. Dirty but worked okay on the small DB I had, only a thousand threads.

Then I used the MySQL migration wizard to copy all the tables from the Access DB into a blank SMF db.

Next I ran a bunch of SQL statements to copy over the stuff I needed and map the fields etc.

Next a quick export to a text file.

Cleaned up some line ending issues with EditPad.

Imported into a clean SMF on the webserver.

All sorted after a run through the maintainance checks to update counts and the like.

Took about 3 evenings to work it all out.

gigashiga

I am looking for the converter please anyone around ready to help me?

I am using wwf 9.63

Advertisement: