What is the Parse button for?

Started by Vahid‎‎ ‎Damanafshan, April 29, 2012, 06:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vahid‎‎ ‎Damanafshan

When hitting the Parse button in Mods pages , a new page (say, this) shows up. What is this page for?
SMF 2.0.5

NanoSector

Hi again vdamanafshan.

That button is for showing the file edits made by the mod.
Say, an edit failed, on perhaps Subs.php, you can look it up and do it manually yourself that way :)

P.S. I moved your topic to Site Comments, as this is not an issue directly related to SMF as in the software but the site...you get what I mean.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Vahid‎‎ ‎Damanafshan

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on April 29, 2012, 06:23:57 PM
Say, an edit failed,
You mean while installing a mod using Package Manager?
you can look it up and do it manually yourself
You mean I should open Subs.php myself and then change manually what is needed?
SMF 2.0.5

NanoSector

Quote from: vdamanafshan on April 29, 2012, 06:48:59 PM
Say, an edit failed,
You mean while installing a mod using Package Manager?
Yep :)

you can look it up and do it manually yourself
You mean I should open Subs.php myself and then change manually what is needed?
Yep, you got it!
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Angelina Belle

But I would not usually recommend you install a mod that way, especially not any of the larger ones.
Sometimes, it becomes necessary to handle one or two edits manually.
In SMF 2.0.2, package manager can also tell you about each of the required changes, while it is "testing" an install or uninstall.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

TheListener

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on April 30, 2012, 02:42:35 PM
In SMF 2.0.2, package manager can also tell you about each of the required changes, while it is "testing" an install or uninstall.

I don't usually find this way all that reliable.

The parser does at least tell you if the code has to be replaced or added too.

Kindred

Old fossil,   whyever not?   The internal parser is exactly the same as the mod-site parser.

I added over 160 mods to my test site and relied on the package managers "errors" list to indicate where I needed manual edits and what edits to make.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheListener

Quote from: Kindred on April 30, 2012, 04:45:40 PM
Old fossil,   whyever not?   The internal parser is exactly the same as the mod-site parser.

I added over 160 mods to my test site and relied on the package managers "errors" list to indicate where I needed manual edits and what edits to make.

usually it gives the edits but doesn't say whether to replace add.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Matthew K.

Yeah, it does if you expand that file :)

NanoSector

Quote from: Old Fossil on April 30, 2012, 06:58:35 PM
Quote from: Kindred on April 30, 2012, 04:45:40 PM

usually it gives the edits but doesn't say whether to replace add.
Your SMF install must have a handicap ;D

Advertisement: