News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Google results shows forum stats only. Please help

Started by zarzonis, February 18, 2012, 09:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarzonis

Hi everyone, when i search on google for my forum the first result is the forum home page www.myforum.com with stats as a description and the other results are some members' profiles. How can i change that and add a description for the home page that will be visible on google?

Storman™

Is this a fairly new site ?

If so it can take a while for Google to find all your content and initially it can give weird results.

The old rule still reigns though, content is "king". Concentrate on getting fresh and regular content and Google will get more and more interested in your site.

A quick fix would be to add a portal to your site like Simpleportal. It's then possible to influence Google accordingly with appropriate content and headers in the initial block on the front page. Add content as html with H1, H2 tags etc (do some reading) plus some metadata tags.

I've never used it myself my this mod adds meta description tags to your site and might be worth a try. Essentially the description tag and the keywords tags are pretty important. You could probably add these manually to your template's index.template.php file but the mod seems to do it all for you so easy win. Don't forget that what you write in the metadata tags must exist on your site. For example, if you have a site about mobile phones and in your key words you put Nokia, HTC, Blackberry etc etc... but you there's nothing about Nokia on your site, then Google won't be impressed.

Just remember that it can actually take months to get indexed properly (a site map will help), sign up for Google Tools and it'll probably help some.

zarzonis

The forum is 2 months now and i have installed simpeportal since first week. I'll download the mod to see if it works. Thank you very much for your help!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Give it some time, getting indexed properly is not magic - search engines need time to go through your pages, and get them live on the search pages.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

zarzonis

I downloaded the mod and my forum got indexed properly in 2 days!!!!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That has to be a coincidence, but I'm happy you have had results.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

zarzonis

I don't think so because the description that i wrote on the mod is exactly the same with the one on google...

Advertisement: