How do I find Board/Topic ID's while using Pretty URLs?

Started by sixty6falcon, April 30, 2012, 01:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty6falcon

If I remember right, the ID's were part of the url before I switched to using Pretty URLs.  How do I find the Board/Topic/Post ID's now that I'm using Pretty URLs?
My Forum: 79-93.com [nofollow]

Colin

If you have direct access to the database you can execute a query to find the post ID.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Matthew K.

It's definitely in the URL though, so there's no need to run a query in this scenario. Better to pull it using $_GET or $_REQUEST.

Furthermore, I'll see if Yoshi has time to swing by.

Colin

According to the OP the MOD has removed the post id from the URL. That is why I suggested executing a database query to obtain the post ID.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

NanoSector

Hi sixty6falcon!

The IDs were indeed part of the URL. Take a look at the URLs here.

I'll probably prepare an edit for you in a moment.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Matthew K.

Hmm, you're right, but there has to be a variable in $context, or Display.php that contains the topic id, still no need for a query.

NanoSector

Yeah, already have it done for the Board IDs.

Sorry for drafting over our GTalk session with edits lol
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

NanoSector

Okay seems this is quite a bit harder then I thought it was... I'll post something later this week, or even tomorrow.

sixty6falcon

Hey, thanks a ton guys.  I appreciate the quick responses and apologize for slowness of mine.  I've got a couple boards that are fed by an rss feed, so it's not necessarily a discussion board, just something to keep my users informed of what's happening with the hobby.  So now, I need to find the ID's so I can keep those boards/topics from showing up in my recent topics/posts.

vbgamer45

Try looking at the links under admin manage boards and hover over the links should be an id in those.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

sixty6falcon

Quote from: vbgamer45 on May 01, 2012, 02:26:56 PM
Try looking at the links under admin manage boards and hover over the links should be an id in those.
Are you referring to the Modify Boards section?  If I hover over the boards in there, it shows them with with the SEF URLs.  No IDs showing.

NanoSector

I think vbgamer means hovering over the "Modify" link at that section.

sixty6falcon

Aha!  That was it!  Hovering over the Modify link, does give a Board ID.  Thanks guys.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

dsanchez

Hello
Quote from: sixty6falcon on May 01, 2012, 02:49:59 PM
Aha!  That was it!  Hovering over the Modify link, does give a Board ID.  Thanks guys.
what about finding the topic id? I am trying to merge a couple of topics and need this. I have to go to phpmyadmin then? thanks in advance.

Arantor

You shouldn't need the topic id to be able to merge topics. From one topic, select merge, then you should be able to select the board - and get a list of topics to merge to in that board... (I do this frequently)

LuanaS

Sorry, but I had to revive this topic because this issue is kind of serious for my forum that uses Fanfics System v1.1 (writers need their topic ID to add it to their fanfic submission).

I don't want to give up on the Pretty URLs mod, though, because it helps keeping the forum usable and shareable.

Hope there will be updates or advice about this matter.

Thanks!

NanoSector

LuanaS, please create your own topic on this matter. Aside from that pretty URLs does not help with usability, only readability, and even then it's not worth it to sacrifice the stability of your forum for that.

Advertisement: