News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

I seriously need help.

Started by JakePorter1995, April 28, 2012, 02:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakePorter1995

Hello. I need help doing this. I have NO IDEA how to make this forum. I have downloaded the 2.0 upgrade and the install file. How do I even get the base design like THIS forum? Please, I have no idea what I am doing and I just want to do it lol.

NanoSector

Hi JakePorter, welcome to SMF!

Take a look at Installing in the Wiki, that may give you a better idea of what to do :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

JakePorter1995

I've been reading that, haha.

QuoteSMF is free forum software that can be installed on a webserver that has php installed. To use it, you will also need a database. Installing SMF involves copying files to the website, then using your browser to run files on your new forum site to set up your database. Before you can install SMF, you will need a website to install it on, as well as a database to store all it's information.

1. How do I get a database?
2. What website do I install SMF on?
3. How do I make a database to store all the information on.

I am not that great with computers, I mostly use Proboards for my forum, and I love this forum because I've seen some before. I really want to host my own one of these for personal use and I honestly don't know. I hope I can be helped ASAP.

NanoSector

First of all, you need to find a company to host your site, your "host".

Using that site's services, you can create a database through the control panel of your host. Then, you can install the SMF files through the File Manager.

To find hosts:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=4.0

Hope this helps you a bit further :)
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

JakePorter1995

Thanks. I got a free domain and I am now waiting for it to be "processed". Until then, I will continue with other things and once I get the domain and I am stuck, I will post replies.

(Topic NOT solved yet)

NanoSector

Okay, we'll wait :)

EDIT: Moved this topic in the meantime, since it's install-related.

ApplianceJunk

QuoteI got a free domain and I am now waiting for it to be "processed".

Great, did it also come with free unlimited hosting? ;)

NanoSector

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on April 28, 2012, 04:10:49 PM
QuoteI got a free domain and I am now waiting for it to be "processed".

Great, did it also come with free unlimited hosting? ;)
Lol.

Take a look at this:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=117303.0

JakePorter1995

I tried to register a free domain, but it didn't let me for some reason, God damn it!

NanoSector

Where did you try to register a domain or hosting?

I registered my free domain at http://co.cc , I dunno if that's something you like.
Keep in mind that your "domain" basically is a sub-domain of co.cc. hence map3cms.co.cc

JakePorter1995

Got it, thanks. Now, this is what comes on my screen;

Can you give me a step-by-step guide on how to set it up with SMF from here, please? :)

NanoSector

Sure.

First, you will need to grab hosting at some company. Do not get 000webhost as it will cause issues with SMF and the database (and it doesn't support custom domains)

Then, await your confirmation mail. It contains details like your username, password, URL and so forth. It also contains the DNS or name server addresses. You will need these.

In co.cc, select option 1: "Name Server (DNS)".

There, enter the addresses you found earlier. Put the first nameserver in the first box, second in the second box, and if you need more follow that.

Co.cc will now submit the changes as soon as you hit "Save". It may take a while but it hardly ever takes more then 5 minutes to process, from my experience.

Now you have setup your domain. You only need to install SMF, now.

Using your hosts control panel (usually cPanel), access the File Manager.

From there, upload the SMF installation archive to the directory you want to install SMF in (usually "www" or "public_html" if you want it in the root of your website).

In the File Manager again, select the archive, and click "Extract".

Assuming you installed SMF in the root, go to http://yoursite.com/install.php to install the SMF installer.

JakePorter1995

I shall have a look now. Is this a good one to use?: hxxp:gccloud.us/index.php?topic=5.0 [nonactive]

EDIT: I have been on the site that I said above, and I got this e-mail:

We have received your order and will be processing it shortly. The details of the order are below:

Order Number: [Keeping blank for security reasons]

Product/Service: SMF4ME - SMF4ME
Domain: hxxp:canadianarmy.co.cc [nonactive]
Link Back:
First Payment Amount: $0.00 USD
Recurring Amount: $0.00 USD
Billing Cycle: Free Account

Total Due Today: $0.00 USD

You will receive an email from us shortly once your account has been setup. Please quote your order reference number if you wish to contact us about this order.

JakePorter1995

I have tried x10Hosting too, hopefully it'll work. :P

JakePorter1995

I used 2freehosting and this is what it says when I type in the Nameserver's:

NanoSector

Advertisement: