[FREE] Limit visability/access of a category to one or more member groups

Started by Ron Austin, May 04, 2012, 01:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Austin

Version 2.02

Description
I know you can user member groups to limit board access to one or more user groups.  I would like to be able to do the same thing with whole categories.  Specifically, I would like to create a category called ADMINISTRATION, then create one or more boards under that category and assign permissions so that only admins could SEE or ACCESS the category and the boards under it.  I know vBulletin can do this, but I don't see a way to do it with SMF.

Permissions
Although I mainly wanted this to create an area for admins only to meet and discuss board business, it would be useful if the same thing could be done for moderators, global moderators, or any user group.

Feature Set
They key here is that I do not want anyone except select user groups know the category exists.

I have spent a couple of hours searching for a mod that will do this and can't find one.

emanuele

AFAIR if all the boards belonging to a particular category are not visible to the user/group then the user/group will not see the category too.

In other words you can simply limit the visibility of all the boards of a particular category to the group you want and all the others wont see the category.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: