News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Space between forums?

Started by Xarkurai, May 02, 2012, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarkurai

Hello guys.

At the moment I am coding a theme for some guy but I'm stuck with a problem: I can't find how to get space between the forums.
I know there already is a "separated" view but I'd like to separate the forums horizontally only.

I'll give two examples images.
Example 1 shows what I have. Example 2 shows want I want ( a line between every forum, only an open line at the bottom instead of everywhere).

Help is really appreciated because I can't seem to figure this one out and I tried a lot.
Also sorry for my bad english, I'm just not good in explaining my problems :P.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
Useful paid mod: Badge Awards - Award members for actions

Ricky.

What you have achieved in first is done through border-collaspse feature of CSS, so it means, now they collapse, can't be separated. You can do something as asked by giving thick border bottom, it may appear as separation though. Because its about tables, can't suggest lot about it as I have hardly used tables other than these SMF built in one .

Xarkurai

But if I use the border-collapse, it will be split up at every td. I only want to have the bottom split and that's what I am aiming for.

Xarkurai

Bump, would love to have some help on this :).
I was thinking to add another row to create the spacing but I have no clue how to get it inside there..

MrPhil

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for, and others are probably confused by your terminology. "space between forums" is meaningless... an SMF installation is a single forum, divided up into categories, which are divided up into boards, which are divided up into topics, which are divided up into posts.

From your pictures, I'm guessing that you want some extra space between boards. That could probably be done by adding some margin-bottom to the CSS, if you want the background showing through. If you want something other than the background to show through, you'll probably have to change code to insert a new line of text, just a &nbsp; with a very tiny font size and a specified background. You might have to indent this line a bit if the theme you use has rounded corners on the boards, and make its <div> shorter, so that it doesn't stick out into where the rounded corners are and look ugly.

The theme used here already has a little bit of gap (with background) between boards. Is that the effect you're looking for? You might look at the HTML source for the page and the CSS used and figure out from there if they added some margin or stuck in a dummy line.

Advertisement: