Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then

Started by waltonnz, May 05, 2012, 02:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltonnz

My husband was logged into the hxxp:seniorsandfriends.org [nonactive] site under his login name on his computer. I logged into the same site with my own login name on my computer at the same time, not realising he was already logged in. Now I can't log out and get the message "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again." I've even tried a roll back on my computer without success. Then I went to his computer, logged him out and logged myself in. Now I can't log myself out on his computer either. I've read a good deal on the forum about this error message, but I don't understand any of it. Can anyone help me please?

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

waltonnz

Thank you for your welcome and for your response. I already emptied my cache, deleted history and cookies. It made no difference. I eventually managed to log off on both computers simply by rapidly clicking the Logoff button many times. Now, my husband can log in with his own login details on both computers. However, although I can log in, I again have great difficulty logging out again and I can't use the system properly. So we can both access the site, but only through my husband's login and not mine.

Elmacik

Try changing cookie name in admin panel and empty cookies from your browser again. Then try logging in-out.

Note that when you change the cookie name, all of your members will see this error message once; and soon after they clear cookies, they will be able to use the forum again normally.
Home of Elmacik

waltonnz

Thanks for trying to help, but it's not my forum, I'm just one of the members. I've no idea where the admin panel is or how to change the cookie name. I've finding it extememly difficult to post these message due to the verification letters which are so difficult to distinguish.

Colin

Sorry, we can't help you too much unless you have administrative privileges to the forum. Changing the cookie name requires elevated permissions compared to the normal forum member.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Sir Osis of Liver

That's a recurring problem in 2.0.2, and it seems to affect each forum differently.  Something to do with cookies, but haven't been able to pin it down.  If you're a regular member (not an admin), only thing I can suggest is try a different browser.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

waltonnz

Sir Osis of Liver

You can always try registering again with a different username, but you'd probably have to use a different email address as well, unless you can ask an admin to delete your existing account.

- R. Waters

waltonnz

Yes, I thought of that, but I really don't want to change my email address as I've had the same one ever since I went on the Internet many years ago. My husband has a different address, so that's probably why his is working ok.

Sir Osis of Liver

Had an odd thought after I shutdown last night.  You have two different members, accessing from two different computers, and both were working fine until you both logged onto the forum at the same time.  If you're both using the same internet connection, both members are logging in from the same IP address, and this may have somehow caused the problem.  It's a longshot, but try rebooting your modem to change your IP.

- R. Waters

waltonnz

Yes we are both using the same Internet connection and I think I know how to reboot my modem, in fact it must reboot each day as I always disconnect the power at night. What I don't know is how to change my IP. I think you're right about what happened. I may be able to phone my ISP and get them to help me change my IP. Thank you for your suggestion.

Colin

Generally rebooting your modem will change your IP if it is not static (but dynamic). You can find out what your IP is by going to http://whatismyip.net/

Colin

Sir Osis of Liver

If you have a static IP, your ISP must change it.  Most ISPs use dynamic IPs, which can sometimes be changed by shutting down the modem, but how long it must be shutdown can vary up to several days.  If your IP doesn't change overnight, you'll have to check with your ISP.

- R. Waters

Arantor

There is actually a bug in SMF that can cause this, and no amount of juggling IP addresses will fix it (because it's totally irrelevant)

See: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=447598.msg3141319#msg3141319

Colin

Colin

Arantor

Or... applying the fixes to SMF instead of getting access to php.ini which most users don't.

Sir Osis of Liver

I chased this problem for weeks a few months ago, and believe I tried rawlogic's fix but it didn't work.  Looked at a half dozen forums, and all were affected differently.  Most developed the glitch after patching to 2.0.2, but some had it in 2.0.  Haven't seen many posts about it recently, probably because everyone who was going to upgrade to 2.0.2 has already done so.  There have been several fixes posted (another one is here ), but nothing I tried worked consistently. 

- R. Waters

waltonnz

Thanks everyone for trying to help. I've been to the site and discovered my IP. I have no idea if it's static or dynamic. Maybe it will change overnight. I'll contact my ISP to see if they can help. I had a look at all the links suggested, but some of it makes no sense to me. I know my way around a computer, but the techie side of it baffles me.

Colin

Unless you pay extra for a static IP and are aware of it then you can pretty surely assume you don't have one and it is dynamic. Happy to help.

Colin

Advertisement: