News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

how do I de-archive the back up file....?

Started by trebor09, May 06, 2012, 05:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trebor09

I have a mac.....

I need to restore from my last back up file after installing a mod that froze........

I have down loaded it to a empty file on my desktop........ 

whats next......?         

Colin

You will need to use PHPMYADMIN or Shell to import the file.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

trebor09

sorry ...fell a sleep in my chair........ :o

I am following this advice to recover after install a mod that locked up......

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=400356.0

I'm really new to this ........ where might I find .....PHPMYADMIN.....     and exactly how do I do it with that.....

Colin

Phpmyadmin can be found in cPanel. I may be able to help you further if you can tell me who you are hosting with.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

trebor09

Colin

Well, godaddy does everything differently. They have a custom cumbersome panel that was developed in house.

Here is how you get to it though:

To Manage Your Databases Using phpMyAdmin
Click Web Hosting.
Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Launch.
In the Databases section of the Hosting Control Center, click MySQL.
Click Manage via phpMyAdmin for the database you want to manage with phpMyAdmin.
Enter your user name and password. The user name is the same as the database name.

Colin

Colin

Sorry about that. You aren't looking to import a database backup. To de-archive a tar.gz compressed directory you can use a program such as http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm (Winrar)

Colin

Colin

If you are on a mac, Mac OS X will unpack a .tar.gz, .tar, or .zip file automatically when you double-click on its icon. (Note that it may be necessary to unpack some files twice.)

Colin

trebor09

well ....... so what are you saying now........ I'm confused ......     do I still need to go into phpadmin........ last night I downloaded the backup file.....(before simpleads backup) with my FTP file manager........to my desktop....   which is the mod that froze everything.....

when I open it ... it looks like a text file of code.......   in the post I sent......  it discribes how to do this........ only thing is ... I don't know if its..... de-archived

Colin

Well, when you got to Get Info what is the file extension?

Colin

trebor09

Colin

Would you mind emailing me the file as an attachment. Email is in the sig. That way I can take a look.

Colin

Storman™

Colin - thats a SMF backup file from Packages/backups, not a sql backup.

trebor09

the email in you sig ..... doesn't seem to allow attachments......

trebor09

yes a SMF back up........ just want to get one step back before I installed my last mod......

Colin

Quote from: Storman on May 06, 2012, 01:53:02 PM
Colin - thats a SMF backup file from Packages/backups, not a sql backup.
Yep, I realized that about halfway through

QuoteSorry about that. You aren't looking to import a database backup.

Colin

Colin

Quote from: trebor09 on May 06, 2012, 01:57:03 PM
the email in you sig ..... doesn't seem to allow attachments......

It does allow attachments, but OSX should handle the de-archiving for you. Not sure why it isn't.

Colin

Storman™

trebor09 - I might be stating the obvious but have you tried uninstalling the mod. You've said that the mod "froze" but what does that mean ? Have you any admin access through SMF ? What exactly do you get if you visit your forum now ?

Colin

Oh no, don't send the email through the SMF forum that won't let you send attatchments. Use your own email to send an email to colin [at] graywebhost.com. Sorry for the confusion there.

Colin

trebor09

Advertisement: