News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

ban list

Started by organizer9, May 06, 2012, 04:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

organizer9

I really appreciate this excellent software and the improvement we can see in the dedication of your developer community. I have a humble suggestion as a appreciative user of your software if possible for you, It's better if instead of insert name all await approval will be listed so we can ban directly from this list.

the risen is we would like to process quickly our member approval from awaiting approval list, this why this function will be very helpful to us.

MD

Kindred

Ummmm....  You can already do that.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I think the option in question is to ban someone straight from the awaiting approval list.

If it's to ban spammers, it's largely a waste of time and energy because they'll just pick another user id and try again.

emanuele

But if you can ban IPs too maybe...
Something like this but applied to the approval list...

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

CircleDock

I use a combination of Bad Behavior, Akismet and Stop Forum Spam together with a function that strips dots from before the "@" in GMail addresses. Spammers get put into a special group with the same privileges as banned members. Keeping them in limbo prevents re-registration.

I've noticed that around 80% of the spammers we've identified use GMail and will attempt to create multiple accounts using the same actual address but made to look different by the insertion of dots in the account name portion. As far as GMail is concerned, "[email protected]" is the same as "[email protected]".

Banning by IP Address is a very blunt instrument since most users will have dynamic IP Addresses - so could overcome the ban - and you run the risk of inadvertently banning others who share that IPA.

emanuele

One thing is in my todo list is to put somewhere a checkbox to allow ban all the variation of an email with dots in the name to avoid gmail behaviour.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

JXDavise

I think the best  solution of this problem is banning IPs . A lot of spammer's don't know how to change  IP .

Shambles

Quote from: JXDavise on October 22, 2012, 05:23:31 AM
A lot of spammer's don't know how to change  IP .
You would know...

mrintech

JXDavise

Colin

I don't think he is spam.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

JXDavise

QuoteI don't think he is spam.
Thanks for the support from  "pack of wolves". ;)

Colin

Sorry about that. As I am sure you know, we get a LOT of spam and we tend to be rather suspicious if something looks a tad spammy.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Arantor

Ignoring the thread-drift above, the small matter of banning someone from that point is not really to be encouraged. There are better methods for stopping spammers at the door, and banning them doesn't really do much good.

On one site I was cleaning up recently, they had 143 *pages* of bans, most of which had never been hit a single time after being created. Encouraging bans is really not a smart idea.

Advertisement: