News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[MOD] Force New Password

Started by emanuele, May 06, 2012, 05:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emanuele

From now I will distribute all my mods as attachments to topics in this board.
Feel free to consider them eternal betas.

That was funny to code! :P

(Less fun for IchBin to test... Sooner or later I'll submit a working mod!!! ;D)

Force your users to change the password every once in a while doesn't improve security, doesn't improve your users' passwords, it doesn't even help much if an account has been compromised (I can't see any real way to "fix" a compromised account unless you know the person from outside the forum and you can use a "secure" line of communication)
Fortunately this mod doesn't do only that (starting from version 0.1.1 :P).
The second option available (the first is described below) covers the case when a member is registered from the admin panel, selecting the appropriate checkbox this user will be forced to change the password at his first login. The same can be applied to all the existing members using the new menu item in the profile.

With this mod admins can force users to change their password after a defined period of time.
The life time of the passwords can be defined (in days) by the admin in admin > Configuration > Modification Settings > Miscellaneous.

The new password must be different from the old one.

Compatibility: SMF 2.0.x

https://github.com/emanuele45/Force-New-Password

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Robert.

Very nice mod, this mod is especially useful when a forum has been hacked. :)

emanuele

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Matthew K.

Why are you releasing mods in a board rather than via the mod site?

emanuele

I don't care about the mod count and in that way you guys will have less work. ;)
And of course if things don't work people can blame me directly.
And last but not least: less people will find my mods, so less support. :P

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Matthew K.

Elmacik

Releasing a mod is done for people's favour. So if less people is targeted and less people will make use of it, why "release" a mod? :)

People may follow this way and its contradictory to the logic of modifications page in simplemachines.org. Furthermore, you won't be able to blame them and talk about any rules. :P

I suppose you'd better add them to mods site. It will be useful for all.
Home of Elmacik

emanuele

Quote from: Elmacik on May 07, 2012, 12:46:38 PM
Releasing a mod is done for people's favour. So if less people is targeted and less people will make use of it, why "release" a mod? :)
Just because otherwise I don't have anything to do. :P

People may follow this way and its contradictory to the logic of modifications page in simplemachines.org. Furthermore, you won't be able to blame them and talk about any rules. :P
I don't want to talk about any rule.
My code is here, available to the entire community with an OS license. Is there anyone so lame to take any of my mods and submit it to the mod site?...shame on him, but who cares, he will have the "burden" to support it on the "official" support topic, I'll take the fun of code.

I suppose you'd better add them to mods site. It will be useful for all.
The mods are here, available to the entire SMF community.
If anyone doesn't find it...it simply means he didn't search hard enough. :P

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

Mods on the official page also carry the burden of 'supporting it for ever and ever' and if you don't, you will be raged against. Some people even suggest that anything published on the official mod site should be taken off its author and onto a new maintainer if the author fails to keep it up to date.

Elmacik

Quote from: emanuele on May 07, 2012, 03:22:21 PM
I don't want to talk about any rule.
My code is here, available to the entire community with an OS license. Is there anyone so lame to take any of my mods and submit it to the mod site?...shame on him, but who cares, he will have the "burden" to support it on the "official" support topic, I'll take the fun of code.

I didn't mean that they could steal and release in another place. I meant they could by-pass the mod site while releasing their own mod and open topics here just like you did. :) And any team member won't be able to tell him/her: "hey, go submit your mod to the mods site, don't create topics here".

Quote from: emanuele...  available to the entire community ...

Is this the same idea with:

Quote from: emanuele... less people will find my mods ...

:P
Home of Elmacik

emanuele

Quote from: Arantor on May 07, 2012, 03:47:22 PM
Mods on the official page also carry the burden of 'supporting it for ever and ever' and if you don't, you will be raged against. Some people even suggest that anything published on the official mod site should be taken off its author and onto a new maintainer if the author fails to keep it up to date.
That's a slightly different (and probably more complex) problem.
But still potentially related.

Quote from: Elmacik on May 08, 2012, 02:07:17 AM
I didn't mean that they could steal and release in another place. I meant they could by-pass the mod site while releasing their own mod and open topics here just like you did. :) And any team member won't be able to tell him/her: "hey, go submit your mod to the mods site, don't create topics here".
I suspected I misinterpreted your post after having posted.
BTW it's the same: you already have plenty of mods sitting in this board and in others.
There are plenty of sites around the web that distribute mods (I have all my mods (uploaded or not to the mods site) available at github).
None of these is (and cannot) in any way be "controlled" by the member of the SMF team.

BTW, as far as I understood the mod site it isn't a way to control the mods, it's more a repository of mods so that people looking for something can easily find what they are looking for. "In addition" a "service" (to both the modders and the end users) is provided (that is the approval process) that tries to look at potential issues in the mod (of course there is all the discussion about the effectiveness of this step, but it would be completely out of topic here...that is already out of topic...), but SMF doesn't have any interest in control mods distribution in any way (that's my personal understanding and opinion).

Publishing mods here I'm just renouncing the service (of course this has implications for end users, but I wrote a warning in the second line of my first post, if they don't read it it's neither my fault nor my problem) and the common repository, nothing less, nothing more.

Quote from: Elmacik on May 08, 2012, 02:07:17 AM
Quote from: emanuele...  available to the entire community ...

Is this the same idea with:

Quote from: emanuele... less people will find my mods ...

:P
Yes, the fact that something is available doesn't mean it's easy to find! It's a sort of NP-complete problem. :P

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Elmacik

Quote from: emanueleThere are plenty of sites around the web that distribute mods

Yep right; but this site is not one of them; this one is "official" for SMF. There at least must be coordination of the things in the site.

Quote from: emanueleYes, the fact that something is available doesn't mean it's easy to find!

Right; but wishing something to be useful for the community is contradictory to wishing community wouldn't find it. :)
Home of Elmacik

Arantor

You can argue but I don't think you're going to win this one. It is useful for the community in that it exists at all, but I'd argue that putting it on the main mod site puts an overhead on emanuele that he does not wish.

If he were compelled to put them on the web site, the odds are these mods wouldn't exist at all. Thus in the sense of lesser of two evils, being here rather than being on the mod site as opposed to not existing, this is clearly the lesser evil.

Elmacik

Of course this is not arguing, thus there won't be any winning ;) Whatever, it was just an opinion, "for the community". :)
Home of Elmacik

lamaresh

I tried to install Force New Password on SMF 2.0.10 but there is no visible change: if i go in administration options the miscellaneous menu is empy. Is there something I should manually chnge on code?

this is the mod topic: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=476080.0

thank you

margarett

Hello and welcome to sm.org ;)
I merged your topic with this one, it's the proper place to ask for support about the MOD.

About the missing option in ACP, I think that there's a bug in the code.
In file Subs-ForceNewPwd.php
This
function FNP_addSettings ($config_vars)
Should be
function FNP_addSettings (&$config_vars)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

silverpt36

Quote from: margarett on January 11, 2016, 11:23:58 AM
Hello and welcome to hxxp:sm.org [nonactive] ;)
I merged your topic with this one, it's the proper place to ask for support about the MOD.

About the missing option in ACP, I think that there's a bug in the code.
In file Subs-ForceNewPwd.php
This
function FNP_addSettings ($config_vars)
Should be
function FNP_addSettings (&$config_vars)

Hello all,

Sorry to bring back this old topic alive. I've successfully installed this mod on an SMF 2.0.15 forum with this change to Subs-ForceNewPwd.php. The issue is that the mod is not fully working. I can see the the config options under miscellaneous (where i can set the max password lifetime and unable/disable the new users forced to change password on first logon). I also have the new option to ask for an existing user to change password on the next logon. What doesn't work is the option for new users. When i manually create a new user there is no option to force user to change password on first login and users are not required to.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Sam

Advertisement: