converting to another language after building forum

Started by srcp, May 07, 2012, 05:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srcp

I would like to set up a Simple Machines forum for a Chinese colleague. Can I set up the forum in English (I don't speak Chinese), make all the administrative tweaks, and then convert the administrative end and the forum itself into Chinese?

Robert.

Hi, welcome to SMF! :) Yes you can, it's actually very easy to do that. ;D Just make sure you install the Chinese language pack after installing the forum in English, set the forum default language to Chinese and make sure you have converted the group titles to Chinese and you're done. :) You might want to check this out, though:
How do I add a new language?

srcp

Thanks for your quick response! I just want to make sure of one thing... I know that I can change the language for people who use the forum, but will my Chinese colleague also see the administrative end in Chinese?

Robert.

Robert.

agridoc

srcp just a few more details to avoid troubles in the future.

- There is no conversion to another language, languages (string translations in fact) are just added.
- I would suggest to install and setup SMF in UTF-8 from the beginning. SMF offers both choices ISO/ANSI and UTF-8 with UTF-8 the forum will be able to use any language. With UTF-8 the forum can have both Chinese traditional and simplified (and any other language UTF-8 pack) working properly.
* SMF can be set up without UTF-8 but it's not the recommended way for your case.
- A conversion to UTF-8 might be necessary before, if it's an old forum but, as you describe, it's not the case. How to convert to UTF-8.
- ONLY UTF-8 language packs should be added, adding and using a language pack with a different character set will cause troubles.

The admin's help file is not fully translated into Chinese in current language packs, some sections will be in English. It's the same with many languages.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod
Δeν αφιερώνω χρόνο για μηνύματα σε greeklish.

Advertisement: