Copyright violation with the avatars

Started by hamanaka, October 16, 2012, 01:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARG01

And yet you have no concerns of the numerous copyrights held and owned by those who are legally filed under your very username of Hamanaka?  ???
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

hamanaka

Arg, definitely I have no concern for anyone who claims a copyright on my family name  "Hamanaka"  ~Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases.  As for what your post actually reads, no I don't care what copyrights are held by people with my same name,  ;)

Frizzlefried, Yep we all have too much time on our hands if we are reading a forum about a forum in the first place.   ;D

No Arantor, nobody came up with any truly convincing arguments. at least not to me, your 3 initial arguments are sort of weak, and I don't think that any of your arguments help to validate US based fair use, although I may be wrong, label me troll if you want.

Being 65x65, they're lower than would normally be considered as being in violation of copyright laws anyway
because they are generic photos of the people concerned
you could not, for example, trivially cite where any picture even came from.

Although I agree that the overall issue is pretty much trivial, I'm not taking a stance of defending those in the pictures, rather I was honestly confused while migrating avatars to a different forum system, as to where those images came from, I actually thought that somehow a different forum system I was using was compromised in some way,  I agree with you, in that I seriously doubt any action would ever occur.  But the whole point of my original post in this forum was to point out that these images should not be in the core package of an open source project, rather images where this community definitely has images redistribution rights available would be a far more prudent use of images.

I have attached my image to this post, a troll would never do that!  I grant permission to the SMF community to redistribute in an open source software package my likeness in a very small avatar.  It would actually be really funny if the core devs actually used my image as a result of this.

Arantor

QuoteAlthough I agree that the overall issue is pretty much trivial, I'm not taking a stance of defending those in the pictures

Yes, you are. How are you not doing this?

QuoteI have attached my image to this post, a troll would never do that!

You, sir, have clearly never been on the internet. There are all kinds of trolls, from the slow-witted, right through to the over-actively intelligent. I'm not quite sure where on the scale you're sitting but as far as I'm concerned, this is nothing more than an above-average trolling attempt.

I'd also note that I'm a developer on an SMF fork, and I did actually remove them anticipating this very problem - over a year ago. Not that it has made any practical difference in that time, of course.

I put it to you that for all the 'weak' arguments I've made, you've not exactly made a convincing argument the other way...

floridaflatlander

ARG01

Hamanaka, your point has been made here. Unfortunately you are the only one who cares an iota about it. You cannot say anything that will lead to impressing me and I am almost positive that the others feel the same way.
In my opinion, since you have mentioned an alternate forum software and have admitted to volunteering within the communities that use said software, I am to believe that your visits here are made purely out of jealousy and are intended only to incite debate.
Although I understand the point in which you are attempting to make, I will be moving on now since in all reality your point is moot and I really don't give a rats ass about reading more of your hogwash.

Have a pleasant day.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Kindred

oh, and lest he claim to have affected the course of the project...   I actually recommend the removal of the avatars (and have done for a while).
Not because of any silly copyright issues... but because they are silly (I never understood why anyone would use an avatar of an picture of an actor or a musician) and they take up space in the distribution archive which could be saved... and also because MOST of the forums that I know remove the default avatars after installation anyway and use something more appropriate for the forum target audience.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

floridaflatlander

Quote from: Kindred on October 16, 2012, 06:31:34 PM
... MOST of the forums that I know remove the default avatars after installation anyway and use something more appropriate for the forum target audience.

True

hamanaka

Arantor, I am surprised to see you agree, and that you have take action (in the past?)

ARG, yeah man, I'm posting here because I am jealous of the SMF community, which I rely on.  Thanks for acknowledging my point.

Kindred, welcome aboard!  pfff!!  trying to take credit for my suggestion,  ha ha just kidding, what new avatars do you recommend?

All of these folks claiming troll with too much time, look at your comments and your number of posts.  It's a forum about a forum, which I brought concern in an efficient manner.  I'll leave the thread now, you stay here and call people trolls and compare who wastes time.   Wow I responded to troll-trollers in a forum about forums.   It's over now. 

Except.., where did you guys get these captcha images, my god!   ha ha j/k

Arantor

QuoteArantor, I am surprised to see you agree, and that you have take action (in the past?)

Hahahahah, no... yet again you're demonstrating a complete inability to read what is being put in front of you.

Yes, a year ago, probably nearer two years ago, I did that. Thinking it was important. Except that the intervening time proved that, in fact, it's just as small a detail as we're trying to tell you.

QuoteARG, yeah man, I'm posting here because I am jealous of the SMF community, which I rely on.  Thanks for acknowledging my point.

You're not relying on us here, this is the only topic you've ever posted in. You've admitted reliance on the software, not the community. SMF disappearing tomorrow might be an issue for you, but not an insurmountable one.

QuoteKindred, welcome aboard!  pfff!!  trying to take credit for my suggestion,  ha ha just kidding, what new avatars do you recommend?

Again... he's not suggesting it be removed for the reasons you mentioned. He's suggesting it be removed because no-one cares about them anyway. Except you, apparently.

QuoteAll of these folks claiming troll with too much time, look at your comments and your number of posts.

Yes, we have many thousands more posts. We've seen people like you come here, cry wolf, and disappear again.

QuoteIt's a forum about a forum, which I brought concern in an efficient manner.

Correct, though you were told just as efficiently that the concern is not a significant one, and yet you're continuing to argue the toss.

Quoteyou stay here and call people trolls and compare who wastes time.

Well, are you not acting like a troll? You raised an issue and then continue to ignore all the comments from the people that actually have some idea what they're talking about.

I'd also point out the observation that you are from a rival software, that has issues of its own in that direction.

QuoteExcept.., where did you guys get these captcha images, my god!   ha ha j/k

Generated algorithmically using fonts that have a licence to be distributed with SMF. Your point?

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Quote from: Kindred on October 16, 2012, 02:06:01 PM
So... basically, you're blowing smoke.
Agreed 100% with Kindred, ARG and Arantor. He's just blowing smoke.

mashby

Quote from: No More Mr Nice Sully on October 16, 2012, 10:21:14 PM
Possibly yes about the smoke. Look at the one you are sporting now. Isn't that Sully from Monsters, Inc.? Is Disney pursuing you or SMF to claim you are violating their copyright? I doubt you've received many emails today OR EVER about it. In fact, I imagine Disney would appreciate the fact that you are promoting Monsters, Inc. and the identity of Sully. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Antechinus

I'm being sued by the People's Republic of China Honourable Panda's Consortium.

mashby

Quote from: Antechinus on October 16, 2012, 11:20:57 PM
I'm being sued by the People's Republic of China Honourable Panda's Consortium.
Do you need a lawyer? I play tennis with one who plays one on TV. He's depicted in my current avatar and gets $10.42 for every view on this forum.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Arantor

Shakespeare was right: kill all the lawyers.

Quote from: monster mashby on October 16, 2012, 10:54:37 PM
Quote from: No More Mr Nice Sully on October 16, 2012, 10:21:14 PM
Possibly yes about the smoke. Look at the one you are sporting now. Isn't that Sully from Monsters, Inc.? Is Disney pursuing you or SMF to claim you are violating their copyright? I doubt you've received many emails today OR EVER about it. In fact, I imagine Disney would appreciate the fact that you are promoting Monsters, Inc. and the identity of Sully. :)
Yup... And I didn't even upload it on SMF. I simply googled for an avatar and find this one is what I like for the time being. Then I just link it to my profile. Well, I am still awaiting for a legal notice but haven't received one yet.  :P

Advertisement: