News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

2.0.2 upgrade failed

Started by Krashsite, May 13, 2012, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Trynig to upgrade 1.1.12 -> 2.0.2, getting these errors at bottom of screen when upgrade.php loads:

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/chroot/home/content/p/r/o/domain/tmp/sess_be116a1407c6e484a5a6e23fe401f653, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () in Unknown on line 0

I had previously fixed these errors, which had disabled the 1.1.12 forum, using repair_settings.php.  Forum was running fine, but now upgrade.php won't run and is showing the same errors.  Ran repair_settings again, but settings are correct.

Restored 1.1.12 backup, works fine, but when I run repair_settings, I see the same errors at the bottom.  Settings are correct, errors don't show anywhere else in the forum.  The 2.0.2 upgrade backs up the first table, then quits.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

NanoSector

Hi Krash.,

Have you checked your php.ini, more specific the session.save_path setting? If you can't, can you get your host to check it?
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Sir Osis of Liver

It's not my account, but I'll see if I can get to it.  The original problem was an old 1.1.12 forum that stopped working due to session verification errors.  I fixed it with repair_settings - queryless urls was unset, and database driven sessions was off.  I set them correctly, and the forum works fine, but upgrade won't run.  No one has any idea why the settings would have changed.  The forum was generating three errors at a rate of 50-60 per minute while in maintenance mode before I fixed it, and two of the errors were the same as I'm seeing at bottom of screen in upgrade.php and repair_settings.php.

Another odd thing, after a couple of failed upgrades, I looked at Settings.php, and $maintenance was set to '2'.  I had set it to '1' and confirmed maintenance mode before I started the upgrade.  There was also some garbage at the end of the file - thought I had saved it, but must have overwritten in the scramble to get 1.1.12 back up and running.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Just ran phpinfo - session.save_path has no value.

- R. Waters

NanoSector

"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Sir Osis of Liver

Doesn't look like I can do that in GoDaddy.  Think that's preventing upgrade from running?  I seem to remember running upgrades successfully with warnings showing.

- R. Waters

NanoSector

Quote from: Krash. on May 14, 2012, 02:21:16 PM

Doesn't look like I can do that in GoDaddy.  Think that's preventing upgrade from running?  I seem to remember running upgrades successfully with warnings showing.

Seems so. Poke GoDaddy about it then, tell 'em their configuration is crap.

Sir Osis of Liver

Found it.  This was at the bottom of Settings.php after a couple of failed upgrades:

$upgradeData = "YTo5OntzOjI6ImlkIjtzOjQ6IjM5NzkiO3M6NDoibmFtZSI7czo1OiJLcmFzaCI7czo0OiJwYXNzIjtpOjM3OTU7czo3OiJzdGFydGVkIjtpOjEzMzY4NTA2NTA7czo3OiJ1cGRhdGVkIjtpOjEzMzY4NTE5NjQ7czo3OiJ2ZXJzaW9uIjtzOjU6IjEuMS45IjtzOjQ6InN0ZXAiO2k6MjtzOjc6InN1YnN0ZXAiO3M6MToiMCI7czo0OiJtYWluIjtzOjE6IjEiO30=";
$cachedir = '/home/content/p/r/o/domain/html/forums/cache';
?>

I didn't put it there.

Just tried running upgrade without creating backup tables, and it failed with this error:

Error retrieving information on step: Updating indexes on "messages"...

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, I set up a test forum using the 1.1.12 forum backup and a database backup, and was able to upgrade it to 1.1.16.  The upgrade stopped 6-8 times with this message:

"This upgrade has been paused to avoid overloading your server. Don't worry, nothing's wrong - simply click the continue button below to keep going. "

Was able to continue each time and backup was completed successfully.  Same error warnings were at bottom of screen, but did not affect upgrade.

Now trying to upgrade the 1.1.16 forum to 2.0.2.  Same thing is happening - upgrade quits after creating first backup table.  No error message, clicking 'Continue' has no effect. 

Why does the 1.1.16 upgrade work, but 2.0.2 does not?

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Disabled admin login, and am able to run 2.0.2 upgrade, but it craps out at different places with errors such as this:

"Error retrieving information on step: Adding log_topics index."

It's having the same problem with server overload, but handles it differently than 1.1.16 upgrade.  1.1.16 waits until 'Continue' button is clicked; 2.0.2 appears to restart itself, and must be getting ahead of the server.

Any help would be appreciated.

- R. Waters

Oceander

I am having a similar problem with upgrading from 1.1.16 to 2.0.2.  I uploaded everything and when I go to upgrade.php I get the error that "The upgrader was unable to find some crucial files."  However, this is an utterly pointless, utterly useless message because it gives me no clue as to what these crucial files might be.

Meanwhile, the forum I am trying to upgrade has just been totally destroyed.  I can only thank God that I was testing this on a cloned copy of the forum and not the real forum itself.

All I can say is, this needs to go back to the drawing board.  Upgrading from a 1.1.x version of SMF to 2.0.2 does not appear to work.

Advertisement: