News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Image problem after moving forum

Started by afcbob, May 15, 2012, 12:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afcbob

I had a forum on phpbb and moved it to vbulletin managed to move members and posts across but images never came across was not happy with it. So I have now moved it to a SMF forum.  :)

What i want is the old images moved across i still have the old files and database from the phpbb forum

Any help would be great as its a big loss not having this images.

Thanks

MrPhil

Have you used the phpBB to SMF converter? See http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=133.0 . That should bring everything across for you (database of members and posts, and most if not all attachments and images). If you have custom images for things like board or topic status, those will probably have to be brought over manually.

Robert.

Moved to the phpbb conversion board :)

afcbob

I have all the members and post from the vbulletin just not images.

I just tried that and get this error
Converting ranks... Unsuccessful!
This query:
DELETE FROM `sreefer_smf`.smf_membergroups
WHERE groupName LIKE 'phpBB %';
Caused the error:
Unknown column 'groupName' in 'where clause'b

MrPhil

I would try to go back to the phpBB as your starting point, rather than a forum that's already been converted to vB. Who knows what irregularities happened in the conversion from phpBB to vB.

As for your specific error, I take it that sreefer_smf is the database name. There should have been a table created in there named "membergroups", and if your "prefix" is the default, that would be "smf_".  I'm not familiar with the innards of the converters, so I don't know what it's expecting to find within that table.

Does this converter match the SMF version you're converting to? I see that SMF 2 has table membergroups with field group_name, while the older SMF 1 used groupName. There might be a problem there with the converter, or you're using a wrong version. If the converter is hard coded to groupName, it would either have to be patched to work with SMF 2, or you would have to install and convert to SMF 1.1.16, and then upgrade to SMF 2.0.2.

I'll leave it to someone familiar with the converters to discuss this.

afcbob

The problem is i moved from phpbb to vbulletin and the board was used for a few months before moving to smf this is why i converted from vbulletin to smf. so the phpbb wont have all the posts and members.

afcbob

MrPhil

OK, so really it is/was a working vB board. From your original post it sounded like you had converted phpBB to vB, didn't like it, and were looking to go from a freshly converted vB to SMF. However, why is the error message mentioning phpBB? Which converter are you using? This topic may have to be moved again to the vBulletin board.

Can you tell us specifically what images are not moving over? In fact, I would deal with the table problem first -- it sounds like the converter is for SMF 1 and your new forum is SMF 2. Someone well versed in the converter's innards will have to handle that.

Once the conversion is going OK, we can deal with any images that don't come over. Do you have custom images for buttons and such, e.g., the equivalent of "on.gif" and "off.gif"? Those would have to be handled manually.

afcbob

As said in the first post the forum started out as a phpbb forum was running like that for a few years.
Then a few month ago moved it to vbulletin and was like that for a few months, but this is where the images did not move across from to phpbb to vbulletin.

Then i moved from vbulletin to smf now i want to try and get the images working again but not sure what is best to do.

Its only images that where posted in posts everything else works fine.

MrPhil

So what is your status right now? As far as you can tell, was the vB-to-SMF conversion complete and successful, but (earlier) some of the content (images) never came over from phpBB to vB in the first place? If that's the case, what kind of images didn't come over? Attachments? In-line images? Avatars? Various custom buttons? Something else? Each of those would have a different fix. In SMF, are there any errors or other bad behavior that would give a clue where to investigate (e.g, a link exists to an attachment, but it 404's)?

By the way, SMF stores all images as discrete files. Do either phpBB or vB store any images as database blobs? They would have to be extracted into files to work with SMF. SMF mangles the names of some image files (particularly attachments) to prevent collisions and prevent direct access.

Advertisement: