Q on adding functions to converted forum...

Started by ComputerLady, August 31, 2005, 04:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComputerLady

I converted our user group forum from phpBB over to SMF, as I got tired of the pain of installing updates. There are several things I am puzzled about how to manage/handle, and I'm not finding much help through documentation or searches on the forum. (Might not be using right terminology!!?!?) Going to try not to ask too many at once, so replies should be short...

Forum is located here:
http://cebug.org/forum/index.php
And is pretty much in the state it was in when converted.

Question one... I've turned on the support for the RSS/SML news feed, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the link is that someone should use. The help section within the ADMIN part that I clicked on said something about a Recent News link, and it appeared to bring up a correctly formatted XML page. But, the browser window that opened up in does NOT contain the address field. Nor do I see a link called Recent News anywhere on the index page, etc. Searched through package mods to see if there was one to add it, but nothing there either. Stumped on this point...

Question two ... Tried following directions in this thread:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=20339.0
For changing code to insert meta tag indicating feed's presence. (I know, doesn't work in all browsers!) But, that just trashed the template file. Might be a word wrapping problem in the copied code or something. Have to revisit that one once I know feed is working.

Question three ... Any way to customize the news feed link so that someone who wants notices posted only in one board (the Event Calendar, for example) can do that? Our organization is the regional 'center' for lots of other user groups, and they want to publicize their events through that. (One of the big reasons why we decided to convert to SMF, because that was integrated into forum.) But, there are those that do NOT want to see posts made in the other board areas. Plus, I'd like to be sure the feed is NOT reflecting posts made in the private areas of the forum too. (Open only to members of our organization.)

This later bit has been the real challenge in setting this forum up to begin with... Getting all the permissions set right for all of the different areas! So far, it looks as though most of those came through the conversion okay, with some being a bit more restrictive than we had planned. Working through reviewing all of those settings to ensure different groups have correct permission levels....

Thanks in advance for advice, suggestions!!!
The Computer Lady!
Design Works Internet - CEBUG
Custom Web Design & Programming, Video Tutorials

Advertisement: