News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Bookmark folders help needed URGENT :(

Started by wynnyelle, May 26, 2012, 03:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

Hi, the person that I hired to do bookmark folders did them great, but on the "track bookmarks folders" feature to be added, the programmer is stuck and seems to be having some trouble finishing it. He told me that it was a problem of joining two tables in PHP.

Does anybody know how this might get unstuck? If anyone gives me some help I could pass it back along to the programmer. I don't know PHP myself, very sorry :(

He told me he would get them done this past week and now that didn't happen he said it will be this coming week, but now I have two more people who will need my dev site this week and someone else gave me a small mod to test out on it and because it's in use by another programmer I can't do it, so I need this solves so badly ;_; please can anybody help me???

MrPhil

It has nothing to do with PHP. It's an SQL query, from the sound of it. There are several forms of JOIN command in SQL queries he might use. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/ could be a starting place, and there are a number of forums discussing MySQL/SQL coding, including http://forums.mysql.com. Worst case, he can use phpMyAdmin to create a couple of small tables, and use the SQL tab to play with JOINing them in various ways until he gets the necessary results.

wynnyelle

He actually did that--create two in PHPmyadmin. He told me he had done that. Why would that be the worst case? Do you think that's what got him stuck?

BTW thank you SO much for replying, you have no idea how urgent this all is.

emanuele

Quote from: Groovystar on May 26, 2012, 03:09:20 PM
Does anybody know how this might get unstuck? If anyone gives me some help I could pass it back along to the programmer. I don't know PHP myself, very sorry :(
That's "a bit" generic.
Unfortunately without see the query and the table structure it would be difficult to give you any applicable solution...

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

wynnyelle

Yes, I know and I apologise. The programmer has told me he is capable of it and will give it another go and get it done tonight. So I will keep you posted, and this can remain open just in case. Thank you so much.

MrPhil

Quote from: Groovystar on May 26, 2012, 03:39:39 PM
He actually did that--create two in PHPmyadmin. He told me he had done that. Why would that be the worst case? Do you think that's what got him stuck?

What I was suggesting was two scratch tables he could play with without handling lots of data and risking damaging the real tables. They would have the same fields as the real tables, but just a few rows of data. It's "worst case" because if he can't figure out what SQL to use by reading the manuals and instruction books, maybe he can play with some tables, trying various JOINs, until he figures it out. Some people are better at figuring out things that way (hands on experimentation). That wouldn't get him stuck, but hopefully that would get him unstuck.

Matthew K.

wynnyelle

Well you told me you were stuck the other day. :) I was trying to help :P

MrPhil

@Groovystar, if you're having a running feud with @Labradoodle-360 about work he's doing for you, this public forum is probably not an appropriate place to air it. Please take it offline.

Advertisement: