Advertisement:

Author Topic: Procedures on reviewing mods  (Read 83962 times)

Offline Suki

• Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • MissAllSunday on GitHub
    • SMF mods
Procedures on reviewing mods
« on: May 26, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »
This is a list of things to consider when reviewing a mod, take this list as a reference and as a guide, this list is in no way definitive and can change at any time.

Packaging
  • Make sure the package un-zips properly.
     - All files should be in the root of the zip, and not inside a folder in the zip.
  • Zip must contain a package-info.xml, in the package-info.xml check for the following:
      - File must have a valid ID and version number tag.
      - Make sure it has install and uninstall routines for all version that it says it is compatible with on the mod page
  • Make sure xml files are formated properly for the format (BoardMod or XML) they are using

Installation
  • Test the install and uninstall on a test board for each version the mod is compatible with
  • Check the install files.
    It should perform the task with no error.
    For creating/updating/deleting tables, the mod should follow the SMF standards, for 2.0 the mod should use $smcFunc rather than specific database functions.
  • Source files should be in Sources dir, Template, css, language and js files should be in Themes dir.

Code Reviewing
  • Make sure the code is clean, no queries in template files, no using superglobals/$modSettings vars directly without checking for it's existence first, queries for 2.0 must follow the Mod Authors: SMF 2.0 Database Functions, mod should be coded following the SMF Coding Guidelines, no globalizing vars without using them
  • Make sure there are no security issues with the mod (ie data is properly sanitized before being put into the database, etc). The mod should not introduce security vulnerabilities.
  • Make sure there isn't a huge performance hit, check if the queries can be minimized or merged, suggest the cache system when possible.
  • Check for conflicts with default features of SMF (ie requiring files in Settings.php) every mod should work with no issues in a vanilla SMF installation, the mod shall produce no errors and shouldn't interfere with any SMF default behavior unless it is specified and is the mod intention to do so.
  • If the mod is using css3 properties, the mod author should include a note in the mod's description.
  • If the mod uses php5+ functions, a note should be included on the mod's description.

Licensing
  • Make sure the mod has a license and a license note in the mod's description.
  • Restrictive licenses are permitted but the mod author should explicitly grant permission to SMF.org to redistribute their work on simplemachines.org website.
  • If the mod is using external libraries make sure the mod gives proper credit and comply with the library license.

General Checks
  • Make sure the features of the mod work correctly as announced by the mod.
  • If the mod adds permissions to a page/section, make sure you cannot access that page/section manually.
  • Text strings should use the SMF standard $txt array, English strings are mandatory, mod text files should use the following format: modname.language.php
  • Where Integration hooks can be used, suggest they use them.

Feel free to suggest more guidelines.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:00:26 PM by Suki »
Look at them. They're just asking for it. Maybe the human race deserves to be wiped out.

Offline Fustrate

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Hero
  • Controller of the rum budget
    • Fustrate on GitHub
    • @Fustrate on Twitter
    • Fustrate
Re: Procedures on reviewing mods
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
Can we get these categorized into sections? A single long list is daunting, but ~3 separate subsections are much more easily managed.

"I've checked everything under Package Format, can someone else check Security, Coding Standards, and Installation?"
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Offline emanuele

• SMF Super Hero
  • THERE'S JUST ME
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:04:18 PM »
Linked to http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/$smcFunc instead of the topic.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Offline IchBin™

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • I don't speak German.
    • IchBin.us
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »
How about this?

Packaging
  • Make sure the package un-zips properly.
     - All files should be in the root of the zip, and not inside a folder in the zip.
  • Zip must contain a package-info.xml, in the package-info.xml check for the following:
      - File must have a valid ID and version number tag.
      - Make sure it has install and uninstall routines for all version that it says it is compatible with on the mod page
  • Make sure xml files are formated properly for the format (BoardMod or XML) they are using

Installation
  • Test the install and uninstall on a test board for each version the mod is compatible with
  • Check the install files.
    It should perform the task with no error.
    For creating/updating/deleting tables, the mod should follow the SMF standards, for 2.0 the mod should use $smfFunc rather than specific database functions.
  • Source files should be in Sources dir, Template, css, language and js files should be in Themes dir.

Code Reviewing
  • Make sure the code is clean, no queries in template files, no using superglobals/$modSettings vars directly without checking for it's existence first, queries for 2.0 must follow the Mod Authors: SMF 2.0 Database Functions, mod should be coded following the SMF Coding Guidelines, no globalizing vars without using them
  • Make sure there are no security issues with the mod (ie data is properly sanitized before being put into the database, etc). The mod should not introduce security vulnerabilities.
  • Make sure there isn't a huge performance hit, check if the queries can be minimized or merged, suggest the cache system when possible.
  • Check for conflicts with default features of SMF (ie requiring files in Settings.php) every mod should work with no issues in a vanilla SMF installation, the mod shall produce no errors and shouldn't interfere with any SMF default behavior unless it is specified and is the mod intention to do so.
  • If the mod is using css3 properties, the mod author should include a note in the mod's description.
  • If the mod uses php5+ functions, a note should be included on the mod's description.

Licensing
  • Make sure the mod has a license and a license note in the mod's description.
  • Restrictive licenses are permitted but the mod author should explicitly grant permission to SMF.org to redistribute their work on simplemachines.org website.
  • If the mod is using external libraries make sure the mod gives proper credit and comply with the library license.

General Checks
  • Make sure the features of the mod work correctly as announced by the mod.
  • If the mod adds permissions to a page/section, make sure you cannot access that page/section manually.
  • Text strings should use the SMF standard $txt array, English strings are mandatory, mod text files should use the following format: modname.language.php
  • Where Integration hooks can be used, suggest they use them.
Brad "IchBin™" Grow        TinyPortal        Themes
Coding Guidelines       

Offline Suki

• Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
Yes, that is more readable :)
Look at them. They're just asking for it. Maybe the human race deserves to be wiped out.

kat

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
Linked to http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/$smcFunc instead of the topic.

use $smfFunc rather than specific database functions.

Typo, someone?

Just curious...

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »
More that it's taken from a very very old forum post, written back when it was still called $smfFunc, before it was renamed.
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. It seems you have chosen which, and now I must do the same.

kat

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
I can go with that. :)

It was noticed. So, I thought I'd better mention it, just in case. ;)

Offline FrizzleFried

• Drama-Monger
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 12:25:22 PM »
When testing a mod... are you requesting that if a mod works as intended to post so or should we focus on reporting issues encountered,  etc?

Offline IchBin™

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • I don't speak German.
    • IchBin.us
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 12:28:09 PM »
You can do it either way. If don't find anything wrong and it works as intended, feel free to say so. Just knowing that people have looked will help in the process.
Brad "IchBin™" Grow        TinyPortal        Themes
Coding Guidelines       

Offline Fustrate

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Hero
  • Controller of the rum budget
    • Fustrate on GitHub
    • @Fustrate on Twitter
    • Fustrate
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 12:40:50 PM »
Yes, please post that it works - it'll help everyone know which ones have been looked at so far, though that doesn't mean multiple people can't test the same mod to see if there's something that was missed.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Offline Joshua Dickerson

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
    • joshuaadickerson on GitHub
    • joshuaadickerson on LinkedIn
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
Is this posted somewhere so that the mod community knows what we look for? Maybe in the wiki (so it can be translated as well).
Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Offline Suki

• Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »
This board can be viewed by everyone including guest, no, at the moment this info isn't available on the wiki, wiki software and I just don't get along too well so someone else will have to put it there.

Offline Shapewear

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 07:44:09 AM »
yah i got point here.

avisona30

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 05:21:13 AM »
Hi expert. Sorry for wrong asking.

I submitted in Modification section Two Smiley's set one is Awesome Smiley's and other one is Mix smileys which are in pending for approved.

My question is how much take time a mod need approved.

Offline Illori

• Project Manager
  • SMF Master
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 05:25:03 AM »

as long as necessary. there are other mods in the queue that were submitted before yours that need to be reviewed first.

avisona30

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 08:04:16 AM »

as long as necessary. there are other mods in the queue that were submitted before yours that need to be reviewed first.

OK thanks for reply.

avisona30

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
Hi I have submitted three mod in modifications but I have getting a message from SMF customization that I have done some mistake.

now I solve those problems. but when I try to resubmit it's show duplicate entry. now tell me how to submit those mods again?

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 02:11:45 PM »
You edit the existing mod, not add a new one.
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. It seems you have chosen which, and now I must do the same.

avisona30

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »
You edit the existing mod, not add a new one.

OK thanks