Where to Extract SMF Zip File?

Started by PleaseHelp, May 29, 2012, 04:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PleaseHelp

Quote from: busterone on May 30, 2012, 12:21:23 AM
Is this a brand new domain, or have you moved this domain to a new host?  In many cases of new domains or domain transfers to a new host, it can take 24 to 72 hours for the DNS to be propagated thru the web. 

Also, are you certain that your domain directory pointer is set properly in your host's cpanel?
This domain has only been with Namecheap, and I am now attempting to use it.

And I'm not at all certain about my domain directory pointer being set properly in my host's cpanel. I don't know much about this. I will look around in cpanel.

PleaseHelp

Quote from: PleaseHelp on May 30, 2012, 12:31:47 AM
And I'm not at all certain about my domain directory pointer being set properly in my host's cpanel. I don't know much about this. I will look around in cpanel.
This seems likely to be the problem. Don't know what I'm doing with the "Addon Domains" and "Simple DNS" parts of cpanel. For now I will contact my host for help. Thanks everyone.

ApplianceJunk

QuoteAnd I'm not at all certain about my domain directory pointer being set properly in my host's cpanel. I don't know much about this.

http://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/767/10/how-can-i-change-the-nameservers-for-my-domain

PleaseHelp

Colin

Yes, so you need to configure the nameservers to point your domain's DNS records to the new host.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

ApplianceJunk

Your host should have given you the nameserver info you need so you can enter it in at namecheap.com as the video shows.

Colin

Generally nameserver records look like:

ns1.[hostwebsitedomain].com
ns2.[hostwebsitedomain].com
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

PleaseHelp

ApplianceJunk and Colin,

So you're both saying that I need to follow that video (which I can easily do)?

Colin

Colin

PleaseHelp

Quote from: Colin on May 30, 2012, 01:49:40 AM
Correct.
Done. Takes up to 24 hours to update. Thanks to each of you.

Colin

Colin

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Colin on May 30, 2012, 02:00:29 AM
Sure, topic marked as solved.

I don't feel this topic should be marked solved until we hear back from PleaseHelp that it's working.

Please let us know if that solved all the problems or not.

PleaseHelp

Has it been 24 hours yet? I am trying to be patient. :)

I resolved with my host today that settings in Cpanel and for Namecheap are correct.

However...

This still shows 404 Not Found (from my host).
http://www.mysite.com/forum/install.php

And this still shows Default Website Page (from my host).
http://www.mysite.com

I have double checked much of what I have posted in this thread.

I know of nothing else to do but... keep waiting.

Colin

Ok, so the 24 hours is to resolve the new DNS. Once you see the default page from your new host you know that the DNS has propagated to your system. We could have manually flushed it, but oh well. Have you uploaded the files to your new host?

Colin

PleaseHelp

Quote from: Colin on May 31, 2012, 12:05:20 AM
Ok, so the 24 hours is to resolve the new DNS. Once you see the default page from your new host you know that the DNS has propagated to your system. We could have manually flushed it, but oh well. Have you uploaded the files to your new host?
I've been getting the default page and 404 since yesterday, after I made the advised settings change to Namecheap. Today I went so far as to present .jpg screen prints of Namecheap and Cpanel settings to my host, and I was told everything was OK. But if I had to guess, I'd say a problem remains with a setting in Cpanel, and my host missed it. 

I found out about the config dnsflush through online research right before my previous post, but it did not help. And I just tried again in a different browser, but got the same default page and 404.

I had uploaded the SMF zip file before starting this thread, and then I extracted everything as advise in this thread. Everything is CHMOD as needed, easy to do and double checked.

Colin

Can I get a link to your domain please?

Colin

ApplianceJunk

Can you post a link to your site?

Colin

Colin

Advertisement: