News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Forum Moved from linux to windows server - Profile Picture / Avatar issues

Started by Sudhakar Arjunan, June 02, 2012, 08:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sudhakar Arjunan

Dear team,

I have moved the forum from linux server to windows server.

Avatars which are uploaded were not showing, but avatars which are within smf were showing properly.

So could you help me to know which folder i should copy from my old server to get the uploaded profile pictures / avatars.

Thanks in advance.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Sudhakar Arjunan

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: vbgamer45 on June 03, 2012, 01:38:21 PM
Download the repair settings from http://download.simplemachines.org/?tools and adjust the file paths

Hi vbgamer45,
You are right when the files or properly transfered. And then i have to set the path to get it loaded.
now, these files or transfered by my server company. My forum and other sites is about 500gb. Server to server transfer. So they would have possibly used cpanel backup tar.gz dumps or even tar files of each website. Use some ftp software to get to the new server. Then extract on the new windows machine, then use some plesk converter tool to get the site up.

Default avatar were working on the new server, only the old avatars were showing as broken image / no images on avatar place.

So i wanted to know, whether smf stores the uploaded avatar inside /avatar folder or /attachments folder or where. So that i could also reupload and check.

Quote from: Colin on June 03, 2012, 01:41:29 PM
Make sure this isn't the issue as well. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=374178.0

Colin, that was a very big link. It may be that issue too. But when i see the old server and new server. I could see the number of files were same. Even some avatar files or seen without extension. Like you mentioned, it could be a binary / ascii issue or something else also.

Kindly help me knowing the fact that the user uploaded avatars are stored in which folder of smf.

Thanks indeed for your response.

Arantor

The user uploaded avatars are generally stored in the attachments folder.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: Arantor on June 03, 2012, 07:58:43 PM
The user uploaded avatars are generally stored in the attachments folder.

So as mentioned above by colin, i should try uploading the attachments folder using binary format.

Ok Arantor, thanks for the update. I will give a try and update here.

ziycon

Sudhakar Arjunan

Am slowly working towards it.

Now i have these problem, could anyone help me.

After changing the files and sql form linux to windows server. Now everything is working fine.

This is how it works,  main site domain.tld is still with linux server. I have smf forum in forum.domain.tld

forum.domain.tld in windows server where it is working with cname pointed form linux to windows server.

When i send a topic to a user , it is showing as send. But actually it was not sending the topic details to an email.

Registration and other email were working only send topic is not working.

I use google apps id, [email protected] in forum.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Dear team,

Could anyone support me , my forum does not sends email when we use send topic button.

Kindly assist here, http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=478177.msg3419323#msg3419323

Colin

Please refrain from creating multiple threads/posts for the same issue.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: A.SK on October 11, 2012, 04:20:40 PM
Am slowly working towards it.

Now i have these problem, could anyone help me.

After changing the files and sql form linux to windows server. Now everything is working fine.

This is how it works,  main site domain.tld is still with linux server. I have smf forum in forum.domain.tld

forum.domain.tld in windows server where it is working with cname pointed form linux to windows server.

When i send a topic to a user , it is showing as send. But actually it was not sending the topic details to an email.

Registration and other email were working only send topic is not working.

I use google apps id, [email protected] in forum.

any update for me collin

Colin

Do they other email functions of SMF work? Are you using send_mail or SMTP?

Colin

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: Colin on October 13, 2012, 11:25:40 PM
Do they other email functions of SMF work? Are you using send_mail or SMTP?

Yes i get register email, password email, new user registration alerts to admin, etc.

Only send topic is not pushing messages, what should i do.

Colin

Colin

Arantor

Why would it make any difference, exactly? If the server can send some emails, and not others, that doesn't mean that send-mail or SMTP is broken - because it's working for some of them.

Conclusion: it makes no difference whether they're using that or not, and that something else is fundamentally wrong.

As a guide, all the others should be using the forum webmaster's email as the return address, unlike the send-topic which uses the supplied email address from the user. Since that host is invariably not going to be the same as the domain the email is coming from, some systems (including, perhaps, the outgoing MTA) are going to reject it outright as spam.

Colin

You are right, it wouldn't be the cause of the issue, but it may help narrow down the problem later on.

Colin

Arantor

Why would it help narrow down the problem, exactly? If it works some of the time, it's not the cause of this issue.

Colin

Using send_mail rather than SMTP can sometimes lead to certain mail providers incorrectly filtering valid emails into the SPAM folder, thus my asking.

Colin

Arantor

Did you not bother to read my post? It's nothing to do with the outbound method.

It is to do with the fact that the working email has an email address that probably has the same domain as the server sending them, and the fact that the email addresses by which send topic uses do not match the domain and will be rejected (as they should) by almost every email relay that's properly configured.

And this happens whether you use send-mail or SMTP. If you think that's how email works, remind me never to go to your company for hosting.

Advertisement: