[SOLVED] Cannot install SMF 2.02. Php errors / warnings on my local server.

Started by AndrzejL, June 05, 2012, 10:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrzejL

Hi folks.

I have been registered with many different forums and I must say I like SMF software based forums the most. I am running my small server using PCLinuxOS as a OS with Wordpress (no php / mysql problems) on it.

About 3 days ago I have decided to start running a little forum (even if just for LAN). Just to get myself familiarized with administration / possibilities / mods and so on.

I did my basic research and I have confirmed that basic download.simplemachines.org/requirements.php requirements are met.

I have downloaded SMF 2.02 onto my server and went to localhost:10101/forum

Why 10101? It is the port that http server runs at and the smf tarball was extracted to the /forum folder in my root www directory hence the addy.

1. Installation started no problem. Click continue. Fine.

2. Next step - I had to chmod 777 some folders / files on the server and re-check for writing permissions - all good.

3. Next step also no problems, localhost as a database host, in the same time created a quick database lets say forumdb with all privs granted to user forumadm on localhost and with password let's say SuperStrongPassword ;). I have confirmed that the base exists and that user is granted to perform all the necessary operations using phpMyAdmin. I have filled all the info and I have continued to the next step.

4. Here (which I discovered later after changing /etc/php.ini to display errors) first errors occur. I get this:

QuoteNotice: Undefined variable: db_server in /media/WWW_Server/www/html/forum/install.php on line 810

Notice: Undefined variable: db_name in /media/WWW_Server/www/html/forum/install.php on line 810

Notice: Undefined variable: db_user in /media/WWW_Server/www/html/forum/install.php on line 810

Notice: Undefined variable: db_passwd in /media/WWW_Server/www/html/forum/install.php on line 810

Notice: Undefined variable: db_name in /media/WWW_Server/www/html/forum/install.php on line 841

but nevertheless I didn't saw them at first - so I filled in all the details like Forum name, Forum URL, first three boxes checked, forth about the info gathering unchecked and went to next step.

5. Blank screen. Nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada. Big bobkas... After I have modified php.ini to display errors I got this:

QuoteWarning: require_once(/media/WWW_Server/www/html/forum/Sources/Subs-Db-.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /media/WWW_Server/www/html/forum/install.php on line 357

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/media/WWW_Server/www/html/forum/Sources/Subs-Db-.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php/:/usr/share/pear/:/usr/share/php/') in /media/WWW_Server/www/html/forum/install.php on line 357

I have been googling this and never really got to solve the whole thing so if You could please help me with it - I would appreciate it.

Regards.

Andrzej

NanoSector

Did you modify Install.php yourself? And what PHP version are you running?
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

AndrzejL

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on June 05, 2012, 10:32:50 AM
Did you modify Install.php yourself? And what PHP version are you running?

Thanks for replying.

I did not modified install.php in any way kind sir.

Php version + related mods and so on:

Quote[andrzejl@icsserver ~]$ rpm -qa | grep php
php-filter-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-pdo-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-xmlwriter-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-mysql-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-devel-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-tokenizer-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-imap-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-session-5.3.3-2pclos2011
phpMyAdmin-3.4.10.1-1pclos2012
php-eaccelerator-0.9.6.1-1pclos2010
php-json-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-cli-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-mcrypt-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-ftp-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-sysvshm-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-gd-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-xml-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-ini-5.3.3-0.1pclos2010
php-xmlreader-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-eaccelerator-admin-0.9.6.1-1pclos2010
php-posix-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-zlib-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-timezonedb-2009.18-2pclos2010
php-suhosin-0.9.32.1-1pclos2010
apache-mod_php-5.3.3-3pclos2011
libphp5_common5-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-hash-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-dom-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-pdo_sqlite-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-mbstring-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-sysvsem-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-bcmath-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-openssl-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-gettext-5.3.3-2pclos2011
php-ctype-5.3.3-2pclos2011
[andrzejl@icsserver ~]$

Regards.

Andy

AndrzejL

Any other questions that might be useful?

Any known solutions?

Any hunches?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Andy

CapadY

Did you edit your settings.php ?

If not, open it and take a look at the settings if they are right.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Bigguy

Make sure all your permissions for files and folders does not need to be changed again. Some servers will change ownership or permissions by themselves.

AndrzejL

Double checked kind sir.

Even re-running install process says files are writable and goes to next step.

I even tried making the /forum folder as 777. Still no go.

Regards.

Andy

Bigguy

Is 777 what they are supposed to be. Does 755 work at all. ???

AndrzejL

755 was still showing files as not writable. I hear it works on some servers but 777 did the trick here for the folders and files that had to be writable.

Regards.

Andrzej

Bigguy

Have you done this yet. ???

Quote from: CapadY on June 06, 2012, 08:00:23 AM

AndrzejL

Quote from: Bigguy on June 06, 2012, 05:11:23 PM
Have you done this yet. ???

Quote from: CapadY on June 06, 2012, 08:00:23 AM

Oh lawd... I actually missed that reply. Will have a look at the settings.php and report back.

Regards.

Andy

Bigguy

Can you please start your own topic about your problem, thank you.

AndrzejL

It's weird. I have edited Settings.php and I tried installing forum again. I have noticed that none of the entered by hand values were used. Standard ones only.

When I got to the point of blank screen I have noticed that Settings.php is empty...

Regards.

Andrzej

Bigguy

That is a bit weird. maybe after installing...edit a new settings.php file and upload it. See if that works.

AndrzejL

Quote from: Bigguy on June 06, 2012, 06:13:33 PM
That is a bit weird. maybe after installing...edit a new settings.php file and upload it. See if that works.

Honestly? Doubt that for few reasons:

a) install never finishes it stays on blank screen for hours
b) database is not populated with any entries

I am not sure what's wrong...

Regards.

Andy

AndrzejL

I might be wrong but it looks like something is not reading the entries from installer's form properly and / or not parsing them properly into the Settings.php file...

What do You think guys? What is responsible for reading / parsing those values?

Regards.

Andy

ziycon

AndrzejL

I will asap.

Thank You for restoring my hope ;). I thought I got abandoned ;).

Andrzej

AndrzejL

Ok I checked out the topic. I am not using ftp during the installation. I am trying to install forum software on a local machine with a direct access to the files.

Regards.

Andrzej

NanoSector

Quote from: AndrzejL on June 29, 2012, 12:34:23 PM
Ok I checked out the topic. I am not using ftp during the installation. I am trying to install forum software on a local machine with a direct access to the files.

Regards.

Andrzej
What is your web server configuration? Using any specific software for it?
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Advertisement: