News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Unread posts not always working

Started by nhart, June 05, 2012, 08:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhart

Hi, I'm running SMF 2.0.2 with no packages installed. Just the bare installation.

A number of my users are reporting the link "Show unread posts since last visit." sometimes returns no boards / posts even though there are new ones.

I rarely use this feature, but when I do, it works.

I see another user also posted the same issue under 1.x support http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=467806.msg3312135#msg3312135

Has anyone ran into this before with 2.x?

Cheers,
Nelson

Arantor

It's actually working as designed, though whether that's right is questionable.

It does say 'since last visit', which means that there can be new unread posts that won't be shown. Changing that behaviour is a lot of work, but the only option for SMF 2.x users at this point is to select the 'try all unread topics' link on that page.

It does have a certain amount of performance saving to do it that way, too.

nhart

Are you  suggesting this?

If the user visited the site yesterday and there were unread posts, but they didn't read them all. When they came back today the would be no unread posts (if no new posts were added between yesterday's visit and today's visit)?

Also, if the user is switching browsers or computers (different ips) would that affect the unread posts?

Arantor

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Switching browsers and computers would possibly make a difference with how the session is generated (and it's based on session)

For my own setup I did actually drop the restriction, but my setup is on a server that can cope with the added server load attached to it. But it was two solid days of coding to make that work and I don't have it a convenient way to explain the changes.

nhart

Thanks. I built a image gallery mod that catalogs any external image that was added to a post, I might take a stab at fixing the this.

Thanks for your time

Advertisement: