Which tables required for moving from one domain to other

Started by ashish101, June 07, 2012, 08:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashish101

Hi

I need to move my forum from one domain to other. With this move I want to change the theme and re-install all the Mods as well. So my question is:-

1. Apart from tables created from mods, which tables to move like smf_topics etc.
2. Which tables not to move?

I tried copying all the tables from current to new then not just theme settings got copied (which can easily be changed) but the package manager was showing list of installed mods which were actually not installed on the new domain (clean installation).

Thanks for your time in advance.

ApplianceJunk

Just point the new domain to where the files and database are currently hosted.

It's just a matter of changing the nameservers for the new domain.

ashish101

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on June 07, 2012, 08:45:46 AM
Just point the new domain to where the files and database are currently hosted.

It's just a matter of changing the nameservers for the new domain.
But I want to change the theme of the site as well which means would need to install the mods from scratch.

ApplianceJunk

QuoteBut I want to change the theme of the site as well which means would need to install the mods from scratch.

That really has nothing to do with switching your site from one domain to another.

You don't need to move anything to have a new domain name point to the same host files and database.

You can switch themes and what ever else you want to do with mods before or after switching domain names, it really don't matter as it has nothing to do with switching domain names.

ashish101

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on June 07, 2012, 09:11:17 AM
QuoteBut I want to change the theme of the site as well which means would need to install the mods from scratch.

That really has nothing to do with switching your site from one domain to another.

You don't need to move anything to have a new domain name point to the same host files and database.

You can switch themes and what ever else you want to do with mods before or after switching domain names, it really don't matter as it has nothing to do with switching domain names.
Ok let me put it this way.

I want to do a clean installation with a new theme and want to import all the data from my current installation. Which table should I import.

Arantor

Just about all of the tables are required, actually. Even the 'themes' table, as it contains more than the theme configuration.

ashish101

Quote from: Arantor on June 07, 2012, 05:17:38 PM
Just about all of the tables are required, actually. Even the 'themes' table, as it contains more than the theme configuration.
If I copy everything then the package manager shows mods which are actually not installed in the new theme.

Is there any other better way to change theme and then install mods?

Arantor

Not really, no, you'll have to uninstall them to install on a new theme - and there's not really a good solution around that.

ashish101

Quote from: Arantor on June 07, 2012, 05:23:33 PM
Not really, no, you'll have to uninstall them to install on a new theme - and there's not really a good solution around that.
Ok no worries. Thanks for the quick response :).

Advertisement: