News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Simple JS, can't make it work for more than first post (cause I'm a moron ha ha)

Started by Jade Elizabeth, June 08, 2012, 12:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Elizabeth

Omg that is the number 1 reason my code has issues! The number two is that I'm uploading to the wrong theme ha ha.

@system32Cro I can't be bothered doing all that work ha ha :). You should add it to your site and see if it works :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Arantor

QuoteOmg that is the number 1 reason my code has issues! The number two is that I'm uploading to the wrong theme ha ha.

And I didn't even have to ask to see your error log ;)

Quote@system32Cro I can't be bothered doing all that work ha ha

Yes, adding a crap ton of code when a few lines of effort is all that is necessary is a lot more hard work.

It's also a poor sign when people have to resort to frameworks because they don't know how to do it without. (They're not there to replace basic knowledge, they're there to make life easier. Similarly, I don't have to use a calculator to do complex maths, but it makes it easier, I can still do it without a calculator.)

Jade Elizabeth

Well I don't know how to do either of them, I just ask others for help ha ha. I'm lucky to have lots of people willing and able to help.

Thanks guys, seriously, even you System32 :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

System32Cro

Quote from: Arantor on June 09, 2012, 09:06:52 AM
Quote from: System32Cro on June 09, 2012, 08:57:23 AM
Than just try with jQuery, just to test if it works :)

Or not, seeing how there's nothing wrong with the JavaScript already in use and no need to add another x KB to the site when you REALLY DON'T NEED TO.
Damn, you really don't understand what I said? JUST TO TEST IT, later he can remove it!

Jade Elizabeth

Arantor

Quote from: System32Cro on June 09, 2012, 09:48:16 AM
Quote from: Arantor on June 09, 2012, 09:06:52 AM
Quote from: System32Cro on June 09, 2012, 08:57:23 AM
Than just try with jQuery, just to test if it works :)

Or not, seeing how there's nothing wrong with the JavaScript already in use and no need to add another x KB to the site when you REALLY DON'T NEED TO.
Damn, you really don't understand what I said? JUST TO TEST IT, later he can remove it!

You're not getting what I'm saying, or indeed what the last half the conversation was about.

The JavaScript WORKED FINE. It did not need jQuery or anything else added to it and there was absolutely nothing that jQuery could have done to change the outcome because the problem was in PHP with a PHP variable not being in scope.

The base JavaScript worked, without any changes being required - why the hell would adding jQuery 'to test it' be of any use whatsoever?! It couldn't possibly change the outcome, except to make it slower and longer.

Jade Elizabeth

Arantor

Maybe, and if that's the case, I'm sorry for being annoyed, but I get annoyed for multiple things.

Firstly: when people try to solve a problem that isn't there because they didn't read the post.

Secondly: advocating jQuery for something like this is a hammer. When all you have is a hammer, all problems look like nails. Which means that instead of learning how to do it properly (and efficiently and cleanly), continually pushing for an inferior option is the opposite of helpful.

System32Cro

@Arantor - I'm sorry, I didn't know problem was in PHP, I thought it's still problem in JS

Arantor

Nope, the JS stuff was working before jQuery was even mentioned, as stated in the thread. But it's all good, everything's working.

(Also note that it was confirmed as working entirely as desired after I suggested a PHP change, and still without jQuery. It certainly has a place and under other circumstances I'd encourage its use and your enthusiasm for it, but in this case it wasn't needed and I found myself getting frustrated as a result, I'm sorry I snapped at you.)

Advertisement: