News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Help] my forum opens like distorted?

Started by nicksahil, June 10, 2012, 04:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicksahil

I think there is some error in my forum caching or server settings,

Problem: Open my forum from http://forum.thetechfizz.com [nofollow] , I am sure you will see some distorted template. Now refresh it, It will work properly. Now whenever you will open my forum you will see it properly But after clearing your browser cache & cookies, again it will load first page distorted :(

I have tried changing my template but still same problem exist.

even google bot cache my forum distorted, see attachment

Storman™

Lets try checking your paths first.

Try this:

What is repair settings php

Upload the file to the root of your site (same place as index.php) and follow the instructions.

nicksahil

just tried it before posting thread, all paths settings are correct. :(

Storman™

Have you checked the chmod settings for the files and folders relating the that theme ? Especially check the images folders.

Anything in the error log ?

nicksahil

Quote from: Storman on June 10, 2012, 05:09:13 AM
Have you checked the chmod settings for the files and folders relating the that theme ? Especially check the images folders.

Anything in the error log ?
No nothing in error log except guest log in attempts, And this error is not due to theme. Even in default smf theme i am getting same error. should i change my theme to default so that you can check?

Storman™

What about the chmod settings on the folders/files.

It'll be good to check them  ;)

nicksahil

Actually i don't know much about chmod settings, Please check attachments of my chmod settings and tell me whether its ok or not

Storman™

Well they are ok, but I was more interested in the folders for the actual theme and it's sub-folders.

Go to that page again, click on the Themes folder and then on the actual theme you are using. Drill down to at least the images folder in your theme. (Then do the same for the default theme).

Storman™

Is it ok now, forum seems to be fixed ?

Also, double check the permissions on those folders within the Glacier theme. Generally they should be 755 but you might have set them at 777. Just double check as I can access quite a bit (!)  ;)

nicksahil

Quote from: Storman on June 10, 2012, 06:03:14 AM
Is it ok now, forum seems to be fixed ?
no its not fixed, If you clear cache & cookies then it will again distorted!

Here are more screenshots of folders, Thanks for looking my problem :)

Storman™

In that first image the folder "Glacier" and it's subfolder need to be 755 (not 777), and the files need to be 644 (not 666).

Quoteno its not fixed, If you clear cache & cookies then it will again distorted!

I did that and tried in two browsers and it still worked ok for me.   :)

nicksahil

Quote from: Storman on June 10, 2012, 06:20:28 AM
In that first image the folder "Glacier" and it's subfolder need to be 755 (not 777), and the files need to be 644 (not 666).

Quoteno its not fixed, If you clear cache & cookies then it will again distorted!

I did that and tried in two browsers and it still worked ok for me.   :)
here is ss just taken after deleting all files from IE. (same in chrome, if i create new user & open forum)

Storman™

As I say it seems to be ok now for me.

Think we will need the opinions of others so they can try it as well.

nicksahil

I know you tried lot to solve my problem, Thanks for all help :)

and i have changed glacier chmod value to 0755, still same problem :(  Lets see someone can help or not.

Storman™

Quoteand i have changed glacier chmod value to 0755, still same problem

Yes thats better, it won't solve the problem though, it'll just make your folders more secure. Don't forget you still need to amend the files (not folders) within Glacier to 644 (not 666). That includes the files in the sub folders as well.

Do that and lets see what others suggest  ;)

nicksahil

Quote from: Storman on June 10, 2012, 06:41:41 AM
Quoteand i have changed glacier chmod value to 0755, still same problem

Yes thats better, it won't solve the problem though, it'll just make your folders more secure. Don't forget you still need to amend the files (not folders) within Glacier to 644 (not 666). That includes the files in the sub folders as well.

Do that and lets see what others suggest  ;)
Thanks i have done all files to 644 & Added ss too, Lets see what other suggest

Antes

May i ask can you use Ctrl+F5 function on your browser and try again ?

First entered
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://forum.thetechfizz.com/?Themes/Glacier/css/index.css?fin20;PHPSESSID=6374b47a974f4be9accd9d28efb99528" />
After Ctrl+F5
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://forum.thetechfizz.com/Themes/Glacier/css/index.css?fin20" />

Jade Elizabeth

Just set everything to 755 and if it doesn't work still it's not a CHMOD problem. Have you tried asking your host?

Also can you please give me a link to your forum so I can visit and see for myself, it might be your computer :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Chalky

The URL is in the OP Jade, just not as a link.  I just tried it and got the same problem as the OP, refreshed and it was fine.  It looks like it isn't loading the CSS somehow first time around...

Jade Elizabeth

I hate non linked links :(.

I can't remember where the setting is but can you enable the load time to be displayed? There's a search bar in the admin centre for admin settings :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Advertisement: