[2.1?] "User xx has blocked your personal message."

Started by kat, June 11, 2012, 04:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

Bloody silly that you're told that AFTER you've typed it and not before, doncha think?

IchBin™

How does it know who you're sending it to until you hit send?
IchBin™        TinyPortal

LiroyvH

It could perhaps use something ajax'ey to check if the username you have in the receivers list has ****** blocked.
Probably a bad idea though.... speaking of overhead.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

emanuele

Why this is in site stuff and not feature requests? :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Oldiesmann

At least it tells you... It could always just silently drop the message altogether while still acting like it was sent...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

kat

Quote from: IchBin™ on June 11, 2012, 05:33:04 PM

If you click "Send a message" from their profile, it could check, no?

If you click "Reply", it could check, no?

If you type the name in, it might be a tad more difficult, I guess.

IchBin™

Quote from: K@ on June 12, 2012, 04:53:32 AM
Quote from: IchBin™ on June 11, 2012, 05:33:04 PM

If you click "Send a message" from their profile, it could check, no?

If you click "Reply", it could check, no?

If you type the name in, it might be a tad more difficult, I guess.

Better yet don't even show a send message link if someone has blocked you. :)
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Angelina Belle

That would be confusing, though, wouldn't it?
"Where'd the Personal Message icon go?".

Perhaps better to show an icon with a circle/slash through it and an alt text of"User XX has blocked your personal Message".
Same sort of thing when viewing a profile -- "Send personal message" could not be allowed to disappear, but would be greyed out and have the comment "User has blocked your personal message" appended.
There would be some additional overhead associated with that, as this is currently not checked on every single Display.php and every single profile.php

Then, in the suggestions (for To and BCC alike), you'd need a way to "gray out" names that have blocked you, rather than making them disappear completely.

If you make things disappear completely, you will confuse the users.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

LiroyvH

Perhaps better that if you click it it runs a quick check.
That will save running queries each time a profile is loaded as well, no? Only runs a extra query when you click the button.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Angelina Belle

Quote from: CoreISP on June 12, 2012, 04:29:09 PM
Perhaps better that if you click it it runs a quick check.
That will save running queries each time a profile is loaded as well, no? Only runs a extra query when you click the button.
Probably.
As for the suggest list -- probably the same.  Adding a field (which would require 2 extra joins, I think) to the big query, vs. doing a quick check each time a name is clicked.

The question is -- which is more important.  The server's time and effort or the users' time and effort. Strangely, the answer might depend on how close the forum owner is to monthly limits...

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Suki

You still need to check on the actual page since the button isn't the only way to send a pm.

Loading the extra info on every users (Load.php) and do a quick check should be fine.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

kat

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on June 12, 2012, 04:33:17 PMwhich is more important.  The server's time and effort or the users' time and effort. Strangely, the answer might depend on how close the forum owner is to monthly limits...

If you type a long message, it kinda makes you want to kick something, with things the way they are. ;)

emanuele

The icon would solve just part of the issue.

Apart from the fact I don't remember how blocking PMs works, the original idea could be good: since we are already querying the database for the autosuggest function, it wouldn't be too difficult to find out if the user is ignoring you or not at that step and then show a warning.

May I move this to feature requests?

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

kat

Yeah, 'course!

I was only thinking of having it here, really. But, thinking about it, it ought to be a standard thing.

Angelina Belle

Agree.  Because the site team very rarely approves mods and other customizations not available in standard SMF.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: K@ on June 12, 2012, 04:49:39 PM
Quote from: AngelinaBelle on June 12, 2012, 04:33:17 PMwhich is more important.  The server's time and effort or the users' time and effort. Strangely, the answer might depend on how close the forum owner is to monthly limits...

If you type a long message, it kinda makes you want to kick something, with things the way they are. ;)

Keep your PM's short and to the point.
Maybe people won't want to block them then. :P

j/k

Suki

Is not only for private messages, that is just a side effect of ignoring the user or one of the consequences of setting your pm settings to admin's pms only.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

kat

Akyhne

Quote from: K@ on June 11, 2012, 04:18:06 PM
Bloody silly that you're told that AFTER you've typed it and not before, doncha think?
I know that member XX, he has blocked my PM's too :P

Advertisement: