News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Admin pages blank

Started by nrx, June 17, 2012, 07:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrx

Hey,

I've just recovered our forum after a major problem, not sure what had been happening, but I replaced it with all new files from the SMF full package download as recommended.

Now, when I navigate to certain pages (at the moment, it's the package manager) I just get an entirely blank page. It's not actually affecting functionality, and therefore I can get around it by just hitting back and carrying on as I was. But now I am unable to manage packages.

I was wondering if you could help at all with this?

I'm using v2.0.2, and it's at forum.nexus-dbc.org.uk [nofollow]

Here's an excerpt from the error log:

[17-Jun-2012 08:46:14 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant WIRELESS - assumed 'WIRELESS' in /home/members/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 2690
[17-Jun-2012 08:46:14 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant WIRELESS_PROTOCOL - assumed 'WIRELESS_PROTOCOL' in /home/members/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 2701
[17-Jun-2012 08:46:14 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: REQUEST_URL in /home/members/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 2821
[17-Jun-2012 08:46:14 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: REQUEST_URL in /home/members/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 2821
[17-Jun-2012 08:46:14 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: REQUEST_URL in /home/members/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 2822
[17-Jun-2012 10:25:28 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant WIRELESS - assumed 'WIRELESS' in /home/members/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 2690
[17-Jun-2012 10:25:28 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant WIRELESS_PROTOCOL - assumed 'WIRELESS_PROTOCOL' in /home/members/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 2701
[17-Jun-2012 10:25:28 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: REQUEST_URL in /home/members/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 2821
[17-Jun-2012 10:25:28 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: REQUEST_URL in /home/members/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 2821
[17-Jun-2012 10:25:28 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: REQUEST_URL in /home/members/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 2822

I have attached the file below in case this helps? (Sorry it's a PDF, I can't save it as anything else from this computer)

Now we're not using the Subs feature, but this is the only thing that is coming up in the error log.
All I can think that the 'Wireless' reference is to the new SA Facebook Feature of 'Auto Login' whereby the URL shows the word "WIRELESS" when logging in. But there's a high chance I'm wrong!

The mods we have installed are all up to date with the latest versions, but are as follows;
Stop Spammer
SA Facebook Integration
httpBL
reCAPTCHA for SMF

I would try and uninstall these to see if it removes the problem, but can't do this as I no longer have access to the package manager!

If you could advise what I should do that would be great :) Thanks!

nrx

Hey,

Just a quick wonder - It's been 4 days, I understand it's a community forum but would just appreciate a heads up if someone knows what I'm talking about?

Thanks.

kat

Apologies!

I simply never saw this, I'm afraid!

Firstly, have you tried the obvious by going to Admin>Forum maintenance and doing the "Find and repair" thing?

nrx

Hey K@,

No worries at all! I didn't want to be nagging, just wondered if anyone had noticed!

I have, yep - And I have run repair tools on the MySQL database, (both through SMF and PHPMA) as well as the server itself.

I've managed to exclude the server, not only by installing a fresh SMF install that worked fine, but also by completely reinstalling everything on the server.

I think it might have something to do with the package manager, as well as the errors I posted, but unfortunately don't know enough about SMF to diagnose properly.

Also, in the error logs, there's something about allocating too much memory? PHP.ini is set to 32M and the server itself only has one other site running on it. It has 512M dedicated to it, so I don't think it's a case of running out of memory, I'm just guessing that something's wrong that's eating it all up.

The only thing I know is that this was the case also on the forum before I managed to reinstall all the core files, although to a much worse state - It was impossible to do anything on the past one as it all came to blank screens, whereas this is just the odd screen here and there.

Thanks,

Joe

kat

pasquale

I'm in control of the server, but its hosted by a hosting company and they provide everything else.
(It's a virtual server!)

Hope that answers your question :)

kat

The obvious (To me, anyway) place to start would be permissions.

Admin>Packages>File permissions = "Standard".

One would assume that, as you have "control", that you have full ownership (CHOWN) of the files. So, it's not that.

What about mod_security? Is that enabled? Coz that can cause problems if it is.

nrx

Hey,

Okay, first one - Can't do that, as I can't access the package manager as specified above. Just a blank page.

Second - Yes, it is enabled on the server, but it has been completely disabled for the account the forum is running on.

nrx

Hey,

Okay, so I just installed from a backup before I installed a mod, and it's still the same.

I have, however, noticed that I can get onto the 'Options' and 'Installed Packages' section - But I can't use the 'Uninstall' button on any of the packages, as I get to the same white screen and the uninstall process doesn't start.

Thanks!

kat

This is really weird.

I'm afraid my knowledge of self-hosting is probably slightly less than zero. :(

Are there any clues in your error-logs? Both the SMF one, if you can get to it, and the server one?

nrx

Hmm, okay :(

And well, my error logs from the server are included on the very first post.
I did pick out two or three things I questioned, but am not sure if these affected it or not.

Thanks

kat

Yeah, sorry. I saw the log but wasn't sure which one it was. :P

Those undefined indexes suggest that the database has got screwed, somehow.

Humour me, here, would you?

You say that you uploaded all the files, again. That must mean that any mods you have have, effectively, been removed, yes?

If so, try backing-up everything, especially the database. Then, get the upgrade archive for the version you're using and actually run the upgrade script, as documented, here:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

With a bit of luck and a following wind, that should put the index hassles right.

If not, you'll have that backup to fall back on.

nrx

Ah okay no worries :)

And oh noes :( thought it could be that but was hoping it wasn't!

I've backed up everything and run the Small Update package, which seems to have fixed the immediate issues - I have, however, gone and removed all traces of the mods via the Package Manager.

Now, should I run the Full Update to fix this, or is the Small Update enough?

kat

Ah... now that's up to you, innit? ;)

All I'll say, is that if I was having the hassles that you are, I'd say "Fook it" and do the large upgrade.

In effect, you'll have a virgin forum, software-wise. The packages (What a silly name to give them!) will still be there. They'll just need to be applied.

nrx

Whoops, got your email saying you'd replied as I typed this, so sorry if I've covered what you've already asked!

Okay, that package update seems to have fixed it!

I've gone through the packages one-by-one and seem to have isolated an issue with SA Facebook Integration.
Not a big issue, just a little bit of a nuisance. As soon as it was installed, the white package manager screens returned and these errors came up in the server error logs under the forum directory;

[26-Jun-2012 17:15:01 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Out of memory (allocated 7077888) (tried to allocate 131072 bytes) in Unknown on line 0
[26-Jun-2012 17:15:03 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Out of memory (allocated 7077888) (tried to allocate 131072 bytes) in Unknown on line 0
[26-Jun-2012 17:15:18 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Out of memory (allocated 7340032) (tried to allocate 131072 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

I'm guessing that there's some dodgy code in the SAFI package that is causing this, or that is conflicting with httpBL and SFS, because when it is forcefully uninstalled, it all works absolutely fine again, and the errors stop.

What's the best way to get this solved? Speak to the SMFHacks team?

Thanks,

JOe

kat

That might be best, yeah.

As far as I know, there are four ways of dealing, with that...

1. Try looking for the php.ini file (If your host allows that. If not, give your host a nudge). Open the php.ini file in a text editor like TextPad (not in Notepad) and change the values for memory_limit. By default you should see memory_limit = 8M. Try changing it to 12M. If it doesn't work, increase it to 16M or even 24M and so on.

2. If, as I suggested, you don't have access to it, then open up the file which was throwing the error (admin.php in my case) and add a line below just after ini_set('memory_limit', '12M');

3. You can even consider adding a line in .htaccess file which should resolve this.

php_value memory_limit 32M

4. If you have access to your wp-config.php file, you can increase the memory allocated to PHP by adding:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '32M');

nrx

Hmm, okay - I'm struggling to find contact details, as the SMFHacks.com [nofollow] site doesn't list the SA Facebook Integration mod, and the mod page doesn't list contact details, and I'm loathed to PM someone as I know how short responses can be to uninvited PMs.

And regarding the PHP memory limit, that's set to 32M system-wide. So changing it in the PHP.ini won't make a difference. Sorry about that :(

Thanks,

Joe

nrx

Hey,

Okay, message posted there :) However I understand it's likely that it won't be fixed soon, which is a bit annoying but equally I've just got to get used to it as it's the only Facebook login integration tool for SMF!

Thanks for your help!

Joe

kat

No sweat, mate!

I seem to remember seeing quite a few Fartbook mods.

Maybe the others don't integrate, though.

Dunno. Don't use Fartbook and never will. :P

Advertisement: