News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Different backgrounds for boards (or categories)

Started by Madzgo, June 17, 2012, 05:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madzgo

Hey guys, i need help with making backgrounds of  Display.template and MessageIndex.template different for every category (or board, doesn't matter). I know there's a function to choose different themes for every board, so I thought you could help me with this.
Thanks

Arantor

Well, using a different theme for each board or category is by far the simplest way.

Doing anything else is pretty much going to be on a site-by-site basis.

Madzgo

Quote from: Arantor on June 17, 2012, 05:52:54 PM
Well, using a different theme for each board or category is by far the simplest way.

Doing anything else is pretty much going to be on a site-by-site basis.
It is just for one site.

But using different themes will make installing mods difficult.

Can I make some sort of "Child themes" that have only images and CSS and use main theme's files?

Arantor

There is internally a thing called theme variants, but they're really only for providing different CSS files to the parent, you can't even use a different folder for core images, though of course you can with anything set purely in the CSS.

I don't know that much about it, it's not documented very well, though I know some of DzinerStudios and Bloc's themes have used it in the past.

Madzgo

My solution is to overwrite theme files over Default theme, then create a couple of themes that contain only CSS, images and theme_info
And that actually does the trick

Arantor

For your own site that's an option, and is why I said about things being on a site-by-site basis. On your own site you can do just that - but it's not an option for everyone else.

Advertisement: