Different backgrounds for boards (or categories)

Started by Madzgo, June 17, 2012, 05:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madzgo

Hey guys, i need help with making backgrounds of  Display.template and MessageIndex.template different for every category (or board, doesn't matter). I know there's a function to choose different themes for every board, so I thought you could help me with this.
Thanks

Arantor

Well, using a different theme for each board or category is by far the simplest way.

Doing anything else is pretty much going to be on a site-by-site basis.

Madzgo

Quote from: Arantor on June 17, 2012, 05:52:54 PM
Well, using a different theme for each board or category is by far the simplest way.

Doing anything else is pretty much going to be on a site-by-site basis.
It is just for one site.

But using different themes will make installing mods difficult.

Can I make some sort of "Child themes" that have only images and CSS and use main theme's files?

Arantor

There is internally a thing called theme variants, but they're really only for providing different CSS files to the parent, you can't even use a different folder for core images, though of course you can with anything set purely in the CSS.

I don't know that much about it, it's not documented very well, though I know some of DzinerStudios and Bloc's themes have used it in the past.

Madzgo

My solution is to overwrite theme files over Default theme, then create a couple of themes that contain only CSS, images and theme_info
And that actually does the trick

Arantor

For your own site that's an option, and is why I said about things being on a site-by-site basis. On your own site you can do just that - but it's not an option for everyone else.

Advertisement: