How do you download and install a skin?

Started by wynnyelle, June 18, 2012, 01:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

I created a skin by cloning one of my other skins, now I want to port it over directly to my other forum, my test forum. Is there a way to download it and then just install it with an upload?

The Craw

You could FTP all the theme files over to the new forum, then install the theme via the theme manager in the admin panel. Just input the theme directory name into the appropriate field.

wynnyelle

Thanks. I just do not know how to do that. I've never been able to get FTP client to work. Do I need FTP?

The Craw

If you wanna go the cpanel route, you could probably zip the whole theme directory, download it and upload that via SMF's package manager.

wynnyelle

Cpanel won't give me the option to download the whole folder, only individual files.

The reason I need to do this rather than recreate it over there is because my test site and main site no longer match, and if I recreated it over there it wouldn't be the same code exactly.

Antes

The Craw

Quote from: Antes on June 18, 2012, 05:10:47 AM
Use "compress" option, then download.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "zip the whole theme directory"

wynnyelle

I was unable to figure it out and wound up manually rebuilding it file by file. It wound up I think not quite done but the skin works and apart from a few missing images it looks the same.

Advertisement: