News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[WIP/screenshots] FXTracker

Started by NanoSector, June 22, 2012, 04:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

* Arantor waits to see if you choose to run the insanity gauntlet that is attachments ;)

NanoSector

Quote from: Arantor on July 23, 2012, 12:14:53 PM
* Arantor waits to see if you choose to run the insanity gauntlet that is attachments ;)
Perhaps, perhaps not :P

I've been thinking about doing them, but on the other hand I don't feel like it :P

Thanks The Craw :)

Oh, if I failed to mention this before, you can find the code on Github, I've just uploaded a new feature:
http://github.com/Yoshi2889/FXTracker

I have yet to update the demo site.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Arantor

There's two basic ways you can do attachments, firstly to do it entirely yourself and deal with the support issues that arise out of file permissions. Secondly you can do it by mashing up the existing attachments system as I did in SimpleDesk - very messy and possible to get it very wrong :/

NanoSector

Quote from: Arantor on July 23, 2012, 01:06:23 PM
There's two basic ways you can do attachments, firstly to do it entirely yourself and deal with the support issues that arise out of file permissions. Secondly you can do it by mashing up the existing attachments system as I did in SimpleDesk - very messy and possible to get it very wrong :/
Which way would you recommend?
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Arantor

*shrug* I did it how I did it in SimpleDesk for the simple reason of limiting support issues, but as I discovered there are so many quirks to how SMF handles attachments that you really have to be careful about not breaking everything else.

Take a look at the SD install package, in the install-xml folder for the attachments.xml file whose sole responsibility is dealing with all the attachment related changes - and there are surprisingly many (mostly to prevent the admin panel from not removing them accidentally)

NanoSector

Quote from: Arantor on July 23, 2012, 02:04:28 PM
*shrug* I did it how I did it in SimpleDesk for the simple reason of limiting support issues, but as I discovered there are so many quirks to how SMF handles attachments that you really have to be careful about not breaking everything else.

Take a look at the SD install package, in the install-xml folder for the attachments.xml file whose sole responsibility is dealing with all the attachment related changes - and there are surprisingly many (mostly to prevent the admin panel from not removing them accidentally)
I'll take a look at it later tonight or tomorrow, thanks :)

* Yoshi2889 has a friggin' lot to learn

Arantor

I'll tell you something... two years ago when I sat down to approach it, I didn't realise just how much I had to learn - and that was after I'd been on the team and thought I knew everything I was going to learn about SMF.

Something else, SimpleDesk was one hell of a journey, I learned a great many things about SMF, some of which I suspect are known only to the people that originally wrote that code...

The Craw

Arantor, your great wealth of knowledge is much appreciated. Thank you for sharing what you've learned over the years, so that we might not make the same mistakes. :)

NanoSector

Quote from: Arantor on July 23, 2012, 03:47:06 PM
I'll tell you something... two years ago when I sat down to approach it, I didn't realise just how much I had to learn - and that was after I'd been on the team and thought I knew everything I was going to learn about SMF.
I want to learn stuff, that's why I asked you in the first place -- You have awesome knowledge! :)

QuoteSomething else, SimpleDesk was one hell of a journey, I learned a great many things about SMF, some of which I suspect are known only to the people that originally wrote that code...
One of the things I'm writing FXTracker, although not learning as much as you did in SimpleDesk, I've learned a whole heck of things from what I have now, from PHP to HTML and CSS. And I've got to thank some people for that :)

Arantor

Eh, I already knew a lot of stuff by the time I came to write SimpleDesk, or I thought I did, haha. But when it came down to it, stuff like instantiating the editor component, dealing with attachments, and stuff like that that is so deep in the bowels of SMF that it's rarely touched, it was an interesting experience. But there's no substitute to *doing*.

Later on, the really weird stuff I did - extending the package manager to understand a new type of package, and extending the language editor to recognise SD's locations, that took me to a whole new place.

The one thing it showed me is that you can make it truly as complex and interesting as you want and there's no real limit other than imagination and the time to make it happen.

@The Craw: :) For the most part it's been a pleasure but it's why I get so frustrated at times, because I have all this knowledge and I feel like a lot of the time it's wasted because the details are things no-one ever needs or wants to know :/

Trekkie101

Hopefully by exposing more hooks SMF can become a bit easier to play with :P

Is there anything for attachements?

Arantor

No, there isn't. And it's more than just offering a hook to make that work, you'd have to extend the rest of the architecture, essentially to be aware of 'types of attachments', which then implies knowing that 'forum attachments' can be authenticated (for permissions) through <this stuff> and '<type> of attachments' can be authenticated through <that stuff>. It's pretty heady stuff.

emanuele

That is indeed a very nice piece of tracker! :D

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

NanoSector

Quote from: emanuele on July 25, 2012, 06:12:38 AM
That is indeed a very nice piece of tracker! :D
Ta, emanuele! :)

Arantor: Perhaps I should start writing a mod which actually works *with* SMF instead of *on* it, then, haha. Thanks for giving me the idea :P

Arantor

IIRC, the last version of SimpleDesk does as much as possible through hooks, as opposed to hacking up code, maybe there will be some sources of inspiration there :)

NanoSector

Quote from: Arantor on July 25, 2012, 11:41:09 AM
IIRC, the last version of SimpleDesk does as much as possible through hooks, as opposed to hacking up code, maybe there will be some sources of inspiration there :)
I'll be sure to check it out, sooner or later, when I've got more time on my hands :)

Mstcool

can you release it in beta stages? ;)

NanoSector

Quote from: Mstcool on August 04, 2012, 09:55:52 PM
can you release it in beta stages? ;)
If you want it so badly you can grab it from GitHub.. :P
The source code is updated there, and every basic feature except the admin panel works, so you will need to hack in a few projects yourself in the database and get rolling.

Matthew K.

One tiny UI suggestion I would have is to make the project description inside the windowbg's a smalltext class so it's a little bit smaller.

NanoSector

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on August 06, 2012, 01:13:49 PM
One tiny UI suggestion I would have is to make the project description inside the windowbg's a smalltext class so it's a little bit smaller.
Implemented in a moment, I think I'm going to like that, too :)

Advertisement: