SMF Development > Feature Requests

2 character minimum in search

<< < (2/12) > >>

Arantor:
Even then most systems actually omit it anyway. Certainly Sphinx does by default (min length 3), MySQL FULLTEXT does (min length 3), and IIRC even a SMF custom index has a minimum length of 3 as well.

I can't imagine a piece of code that would meaningfully be found with a couple of characters either...

kat:
For a coder, it's probably easier, because you'll know which bits can be omitted, without it affecting the result.

Us mere plebs don't have that advantage. :P

Kindred:
I re-state.....

--- Quote from: Kindred on June 23, 2012, 11:47:17 PM ---how is "a" critical in a search?

searching for "treatise petunias" will bring up the post with the title or contents: "A treatise on petunias"

searching for just "a" would bring up nearly every post....

Even google excludes words like "a" and "an"....

--- End quote ---

kat:
You misunderstand me... (Not surprisingly) :P

What I mean, is when you get a quoted error message, you often get single characters. Especially if that message contains ">", "/", "a=" and the like.

If you copy that error and paste it into "Search", you get that bloody annoying error and a non-coder won't know which characters to omit.

I get around it, myself, by using the "Site search" thingy, on Google (Or whatever).

Does that make more sense?

Arantor:
Most of those characters won't be searchable anyway... all the search backends discard non word characters to some degree, some more than others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version