News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF Discovers wrong php-version on the server and refuses to upgrade to 2.14.0

Started by Lilariel, June 01, 2017, 05:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilariel

Having a strange issue, the SMF-platform appears to be picking up and using an old version of PHP installed on the server, and this is preventing us from upgrading to 2.14.0

When visiting the Support and Credits page, we are greeted with this snippet of information:
QuoteVersion Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.13 (more detailed)
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.14
GD version: 2.0 or higher
MySQL version: 5.5.36-MariaDB-1~wheezy
PHP: 4.4.9-7+hw2
Server version: Apache

This naturally means that trying to install the upgrade fails with this error:
QuoteThis update requires a minimum of PHP 5.3.0 in order to function. (You are currently running PHP 4.4.9-7+hw2)

However, the PHP-instance on the server certainly seems to be much newer. Our host runs the updates and maintenance of the server so we only have limited ssh-access to it, but a quick trip online through putty lets me fetch this info with a quick php -v command just to fetch the version installed.

Quote~/web/coj/smf$ php -v
PHP 5.4.45-0+deb7u6 (cli) (built: Dec 10 2016 16:03:16)
Copyright (c) 1997-2014 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.4.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2014 Zend Technologies

And this is where my ideas come to a complete and utter stop. I can't find anything when trying to google ways to configure which php-version the forum decides to use, i can't find anything on the forums here, and I can't find any setting on our own forums admin-panel either. Maybe my google-fu is simply incompetent, but I am at a loss.

I don't really even know where to look next, does anyone have any suggestions?

Illori

Arantor

Well, you've definitely got PHP 5.4 configured for CLI use but that doesn't mean that's what's configured with Apache - and if 4.4 is an option, it's almost certainly configurable from a control panel somewhere.

Lilariel

Hum. It appears to agree with the SMF-platform, phpinfo.php also lists 4.4 as the chosen one.
SMF uses the same version of PHP as Apache does then, if I'm understanding this correctly? As far as I can see we don't have any access to apache-configs in the hosts control panels, so we may have to contact some support it seems if that is the case. We don't have access to it on the server either.

vbgamer45

I would contact your host. They should be able to fix it.  Probably a config issue for your site on which php version to use.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Lilariel

Quick chat with the host resolved the issue indeed, they flipped a few switches and kicked us up to the 5.4 installation. Thanks for the tips!

Advertisement: