How do I edit my profile?

Started by median, July 05, 2012, 10:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

median

I don't see any obvious button or place to edit my avatar/signature etc. I am currently considering SMF as an option for my new site.

p.s. - Is there a way to turn off the verification feature? I don't like that feature at all.

Arantor

Editing your avatar/signature on this site is disabled until you've hit 10 posts. There's no restriction on a default site.

The verification feature is here to prevent spam, goes away after 10 posts. On a default installation it's only there on registration but that doesn't prove to be particularly effective at dealing with spam.

median

Thanks for the info on this. Right now I am considering at least three different BBs and have been rigorously going through my checklist of "must haves". So far SMF is in the lead but I'm still unsure of a few things. Here is my list:

1. Must have a video and photo link buttons - so that users can enter embedded photos/video directly into posts
2. Must have EDIT button - so users can edit their posts (after posting, for spelling errors/changes, etc)
3. Must have a VBulletin type QUOTE feature - where you can quote someone in your post (this is going to be a debate forum)
4. Must have flexible/viewable text editor - so that users can preview posts (like VBulletin)
5. It would be nice if the software was cheaper and/or free (as opposed to VB)
6. Must have user photos/usernames on LEFT SIDE of posts - as opposed to above
7. Must have thread ratings (i.e. - 1-5 stars)
8. Must have good SEO
9. Must have user status' capability (i.e. - Junior Member, Member, Senior Member, Administrator, God, etc)
10. Must not have too many bugs

So far, the one thing I think SMF is lacking is the embed video button. Am I correct that if I use SMF I have to MOD it in order to get an embed video feature for all?

Thanks

Colin

Sure, you will need a mod, but that isn't hard to install.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

median

Very cool. Actually, one last thing. Is there a setting/MOD for the members status'? I would like to make it so that members cannot create their own status captions until they have reached a certain "seniority" in the forum.

In other words, I would like to have my forum as follows:

New Members are titled - New Member
Regular Members are titled - Member
Senior Members are titled - Senior Member
Long term members are titled - Hall of Fame Member (or can choose their own title)
Admins are titled - Administrator etc

xTyler

You can edit all that in the membergroup section but i think you may need a mod to make it so after a certain amount of posts you can make your own status.

Chalky

Quote from: Coder Tyler on July 07, 2012, 10:30:47 AM
You can edit all that in the membergroup section but i think you may need a mod to make it so after a certain amount of posts you can make your own status.

No you don't, it's in the permissions > settings > enable permissions for post-based groups.  Then in Membergroup permissions, remove the permission for regular members to "choose a custom title for themselves" then enable that permission for your post count group.

You might also want to set it to hide post-count group name when there is a custom title set.

Advertisement: