News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Advanced Search Button

Started by yeehi, July 07, 2012, 07:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeehi

I would like to be able to do a search for my own posts, or those of another member.
I can't see an advanced search button for this.

Also I would like to be able to restrict my search to within a particular forum or thread. Can I do that?

Thank you!
Linux-libre [nofollow] ask for it
Trisquel [nofollow] a fully free GNU/Linux-libre distribution
Open Source does not mean Free [nofollow]   ]Earthlings [nofollow]

Johnny54

Use search in the left upper corner.
Home  Help  Search  Profile  My Messages  Calendar  Members  Logout

yeehi

Thanks, Johnny54! That did the trick.

It looks like there is no search within thread functionality in the standard SMF used on this website. Is that possible with a plugin?

I don't need to search within threads at the moment, but have needed to recently on other boards. Some threads were absolute monsters - like 60 pages!
I used the search within thread for a key word I was looking for and it occured just 3 times! It saved me no end of time and effort!

EDIT

I checked out the search as you suggested, Johnny54. I could do a search by username, but it required that I also put in search terms. I don't want to restrict my search by search terms. I want to see everything.

To do this I clicked on my user name in one of my posts, and did a search posts. That brought up all my posts.

It would be nice to be able to do a similar thing, but instead restrict it to all my threads, instead.  Is that functionality available? This would organize my search results for me. Also, I might be able to see the number of views/replies the thread has had. You can do this with vBulletin.

Finally, text editor for editing a post has no button to click on for making text italics or bold. Is there a way to "go advanced" with the text editor when editing a post, instead of having to enter html code?
Linux-libre [nofollow] ask for it
Trisquel [nofollow] a fully free GNU/Linux-libre distribution
Open Source does not mean Free [nofollow]   ]Earthlings [nofollow]

Kindred

yeehi... please stop posting everything in the feedback section.
Most of this belongs in chit chat, support or mod requests... not feedback.

and of course the editor has a button for italics, etc....
not quick reply, but the new post or full reply option does.
(and html won't work - you need to use bbc)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

QuoteIt looks like there is no search within thread functionality in the standard SMF used on this website. Is that possible with a plugin?

This site uses a mod called Search Focus Dropdown. Though if you use the quick search within a thread it internally defaults to just inside that thread anyway.

QuoteIt would be nice to be able to do a similar thing, but instead restrict it to all my threads, instead.  Is that functionality available?

From your profile, Show Posts > Show Topics.

QuoteFinally, text editor for editing a post has no button to click on for making text italics or bold. Is there a way to "go advanced" with the text editor when editing a post, instead of having to enter html code?

The main reply does have the ability to insert bbcode for you but you can also press the WYSIWYG button to use the 'wonderful' WYSIWYG editor, which is a bit unreliable.

QuoteMost of this belongs in chit chat, support or mod requests... not feedback.

It is discussion about what SMF has by default - or not - and the fact that a new user trying it out is left with a feeling that there is a lot lacking, because it's not obvious how these things will work.

Advertisement: