News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Automatic Split from and Split to messages

Started by Guillelmus, November 16, 2011, 08:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillelmus

I'd like to have a feature that after splitting a topic automatically adds a message "Discussion split from topic XX" to the beginning of the newly created topic and a message "Discussion split to topic YY" to the end of the old topic.

I do this all the time on my forum, but have to add these two messages by hand. I also need a reserve of old blank message in order to create a message at the beginning of the new topic. Since there is already automated notification of moved topics, I think this feature would fit really well into SMF

Description:
Automatically add notification messages to the old and new topics after splitting a topic.
At the end of the old topic add: [Discussion split to topic YY]
At the beginning of the new topic add: [Discussion split from topic XX] (This requires that the new message is created with a timestamp earlier than the first split message.)

Permissions:
A feature for moderators.

Feature Set:
A checkbox at the Split function whether you want to add these messages. (Similar to the check box at Move function.)

emanuele

Quote from: Guillelmus on November 16, 2011, 08:52:37 AM
I'd like to have a feature that after splitting a topic automatically adds a message "Discussion split from topic XX" to the beginning of the newly created topic and a message "Discussion split to topic YY" to the end of the old topic.
Thank would be nice! :)

* emanuele thinks he can add it to his newly submitted mod. :P

I do this all the time on my forum, but have to add these two messages by hand. I also need a reserve of old blank message in order to create a message at the beginning of the new topic. Since there is already automated notification of moved topics, I think this feature would fit really well into SMF
Unfortunately, it wouldn't be so easy to add the message at the beginning of the newly created topic because of the way SMF decide the order of the messages...
But it could be added as a change to the 1st message of the new topic.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Guillelmus

Quote from: emanuele on November 16, 2011, 11:14:56 AM
Unfortunately, it wouldn't be so easy to add the message at the beginning of the newly created topic because of the way SMF decide the order of the messages...
But it could be added as a change to the 1st message of the new topic.
Can't the timestamps be manipulated in the database? So that the newly created message just appears to be the oldest.

emanuele

The fact is that the order is not based on the timestamp, but on the message id, so unless you change the way the messages are sorted (i.e. using the timestamp), it's not possible (AFAIK).

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Guillelmus

Ok, thanks for clarifying. The reason why Moderator should be the one starting the topic is that sometimes my users complain if they appear to have started a topic they really didn't want to start. All they wanted was to participate in a discussion of another topic.

Guillelmus

Quote from: emanuele on November 16, 2011, 02:59:27 PM
The fact is that the order is not based on the timestamp, but on the message id, so unless you change the way the messages are sorted (i.e. using the timestamp), it's not possible (AFAIK).
You could rearrange the messages in the database like this:

Original topic
post1 id1
post2 id2

modpost id1
post1 id2 (copy post id1 -> id2)
post2 id3 (copy post id2 -> id3 which is new entry)

DSystem

I really enjoyed this mod. Very good.

I wanted to give an idea to get even better.

Already used the feature split and join threads incidentally very efficient. But a lot of times I find it necessary only migrate messages to another topic already exists.

Today to make this process I split the topic taking the message I want to change, then use the option to join topic to put the message in your target topic. You could have an easier way of doing this.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=488650.0

Advertisement: