News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Question about Subscriptions

Started by Kimmie, July 11, 2012, 09:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Paid Subscription Checks is a scheduled task (Admin -> Scheduled Tasks) that updates expired subscriptions once a day by default.  You can change the frequency, or run it manually at any time.

I usually set Visible Boards in Membergroups, then cross check them against Allowed Groups in Boards.  They're linked, so changing one changes the other, but it's a good idea to confirm both ends.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kimmie

Any news on this, the deadline is near lol

EDIT" Oops didnt see your other posts. Sorry..lol.

Just checked your test member and they are still in the subscriber group. Am I to assume this isn't working right? Do I need to set that to "Don't Change" and then have it give them "secondary access" to the subscriber group?

Sir Osis of Liver

For reasons unknown, member Subtest is still in Subscriber group, which should have expired after a day.  Profile shows no subscriptions, which is correct.  This may be because the test subscription was deleted while still active.  You should be ok if you don't delete any subs with active users - inactivate them instead.  That will prevent members from subscribing, but shouldn't affect active subscribers.

May be another bug.  Will try to duplicate it on a test install soon as I have time.

- R. Waters

Kimmie

ok thanks. I can always push my start time for the subs out a day or so if I need to so that another test can be made. I was going to use the 1st since it starts a new month. It's not a real big deal.

What I was thinking is that since you told it to "change" their primary group completely, it can't change them back to a post count group because as the site now sees it, that IS their primary group regardless

Sir Osis of Liver

The database contains the member's new (subscriber) group and old group.  When sub expires, member should be returned to their old group.  It appears that deleting the sub removes it from the member's profile (or it's removed when the sub expires), but does not revert the membergroup.  Looks like it will remain active indefinitely, until cancelled by admin.  If so, that would be a bug.  If I can duplicate it, I'll post a bug report.

It should work fine for you as long as you remember not to delete subs that have active subscribers.

Edit:  Ok, took another look, and admin cannot manually cancel the subscription because it no longer exists.  The subscription membergroup is no longer linked to a subscription, so subscriber must be moved back to their original group in Profile -> Account Settings.

- R. Waters

Kimmie

ok, sounds good. That makes a lot of sense really because its the sub "expiring" that tells the site to revert them back to their original group. If the sub is not there, it cannot "expire" so that remaining process cannot carry out what it needs to.

I want to THANK YOU for all the help you have given me on this!!!!!! I really REALLY appreciate it Krash. You are a great asset to the SMF team and I hope they know that :)

We go live tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!!! LOL

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Kimmie

Just started working on this, and just wanted you to know that adjusting the visible boards under membergroups changed nothing. I am still going to have to go into  each boards permissions and uncheck each group. Not sure why. Maybe you can tell me?  LOL

EDIT: NEvermind, Its late and I am stupid...lol. I was looking at the wrong board. HA.

Kimmie

Ok I have a question. Under subscriptions I have this:

I assume the "finished" category means someone has actually finished an entire subscription. I am confused about this because nobody has had time to finish one yet because the shortest one I have is 7 days and they have only been live for 2 days. When I go into that sub, there are no names showing up.

Now, with that being said if you remember back to when "I tried" to run a test, that sub was for 7 days. Could this be hers showing up as finished after all this time even though I deleted that sub?

Sir Osis of Liver

Probably, yes.  One of the problems with paid subs is it doesn't always clean up after itself.  If you go to your database and look in smf_log_subscribed you should see two subs, the inactive one, and the current active sub.  If you convert start_time and end_time from unix to plain english, you can see when the sub occurred.  No idea what happened to the test sub I did - apparently was removed from the log at some point.  You can delete the inactive record if you wish.

- R. Waters

Kimmie

k thanks :).

So far things are working good. They are receiving the confirmation emails from both paypal and the site and things are working as expected thus far. The next hurdle will be them getting the reminder emails close to the end of their subs, and them being moved back into their post count group once their sub expires. So  far we only have 1 "60 day" sub going so it may be a little while before I can confirm that part. I may use your test account on the 7 day sub just so I can make sure it works  lol.

Once again, THANKS for all the help!!

Kimmie

ok so I am confused again  lol

I keep having numbers pop up in the finished category and I am not seeing how since those have only just started and they have not had time to expire.

1st group: 1 week subs: shows 2 active and 2 finished. Only 2 are listed when I pull it up. One doesn't expire until the 11th and the other does not expire until the 12th. Why are  they showing finished?

2nd group: 30 days shows 0 active and 2 finished (with no listings)

3rd group: 60 days shows 3 active, 0 finished and 3 people listed.

I thought perhaps it could be that this list will not show the names of the ones that are finished already, only the active ones but then I thought well no that cant be it either because we have not even had a sub live long enough TO expire yet. 

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't know what's causing those finished subs.  You have two 1 week and four 60 day subs, and those members are all in Subscriber group.  Check payments in your PayPal account and confirm that all paid members are in Subscriber group.  If you look in smf_log_subscribed it should show you the finished subs (status = 0) and which member each belonged to (id_member).

- R. Waters

Kimmie

k I will do that later today and let you know what I find

Kimmie

before I had a chance to check it, the "finished" category dropped down to all 0's. If it happens again, I will be sure and check it right away.

==================

I am getting an error on someone who tried to purchase a subscription but it didn't go through. Not sure what the error means.

http://****/subscriptions.phpPaid subscription handler could not find subscription log entry for member ID: 8780, subscription ID: 5

They used an "eCheck" to pay for it. I received an email on the 7th with the error, and then another email on the 8th telling me the eCheck had cleared but their subscription never updated.

Any ideas?

The email I received only had the error. My log shows more information (listed below).

Quotehttp://****/subscriptions.phpPaid subscription handler could not find subscription log entry for member ID: 8780, subscription ID: 5
mc_gross: 1.00
protection_eligibility: Ineligible
payer_id: EJVYN59CRRGYE
tax: 0.00
payment_date: 00:26:09 Aug 05, 2012 PDT
payment_status: Completed
charset: windows-1252
first_name: Kelly
mc_fee: 0.33
notify_version: 3.5
echeck_time_processed: 11:13:52 Aug 08, 2012 PDT
custom:
payer_status: verified
business: ****
quantity: 1
verify_sign: APfKQNxTnnF4X2YZHHlq-DE-2kVSAUCMIoOcyzbnZgUhHdo2USHM4HQp
payer_email:****
txn_id: 3A347837812922747
payment_type: echeck
payer_business_name: NeonGlowFX
last_name: Eastes
receiver_email: ****
payment_fee: 0.33
receiver_id: 84UJRJ33GHQUA
txn_type: web_accept
item_name: 1 Week Preview (7 days) Subscription
mc_currency: USD
item_number: 5+8780
residence_country: US
handling_amount: 0.00
transaction_subject: 1 Week Preview (7 days) Subscription
payment_gross: 1.00
shipping: 0.00
ipn_track_id: d6cade8538d8e

Sir Osis of Liver

Not a clue how the 'finished' subs could zero out.

I've never seen an eCheck payment, so not sure how it works, but the IPN in the logged error has a recognized transaction type (web_accept), so the problem seems to have occurred when payment was initially made.  Looks like your error log has been cleared, so I can't see what happened before this error.  Can you do a test sub with an eCheck?

I'm a little concerned that you've had two different problems that both appear to involve the subscription log.  Have you been messing around in the database?

- R. Waters

Kimmie

The error is still in the log. I left it so you could see it. The only other items that were in there were "password incorrect" errors (5 pages of them and I went through every entry - I always do). I get tons of those every day and have since I started using SMF way back when it was 1.0. That is a problem I have been complaining about since it started but nobody seems to know how to fix it.

And no I have not been in the database for anything accept backups in months.

Kimmie

you want access to my DB so you can have a looksie?  lol

Kimmie

ok now I have them showing up as finished - even under the 60 day field  lol

When I go under 7 days I actually have "5" subs showing - 4 active and 1 finished

30 days - Shows 1 active

60 days shows 7 active and 0 finished

I am getting ready to go see if I can pull it up on the database

EDIT: Since I am new to looking at this, here is what I see in my log (its all of the entries). the image is a lot bigger than that so just open it in a new tab

Going by Status = "0"
1st finished entry is yours (I think) 07/23/2012 2:08am GMT to 07/24/2012 2:09am GMT.
2nd finished entry is a legit sub that expired
3rd one, id is this person http://patriotgames2.info/index.php?action=profile;u=485 and "begin" time stamp is 08/11/2012 11:21pm GMT No sub every showing up for this person and nothing showing as pending
4th one  id is this person http://patriotgames2.info/index.php?action=profile;u=6259 and "begin" time stamp is 08/11/2012 4:33am GMT. No sub ever showing up for this person and nothing showing as pending

Sir Osis of Liver

There are 16 subs in your screenshot of smf_log_subscribed.  I'm seeing 17 finished + active subs listed on your forum, which is about right if another sub was added since you posted the ss.  When I look at the stats for individual subs, a couple of the finished subs are missing.  That's odd, because afaik all of the stats come from the same subs table, which appears to be complete.  (Don't know why there are two subs with end_time = 0.)

When Paid Subscription Checks runs every day, it does not remove any records from the table, it just updates status from 1 to 0 for any sub that has expired.  All subs, active or finished, remain in the log indefinitely, or until you manually delete them from the db.

It's possible one of your mods may be causing a glitch with paid subs, but don't see any likely suspects in your package manager.  Best thing would be to track each sub from PayPal payment to finish, to confirm that members are subscribing successfully and the subs are expiring on schedule.  If that's working, the tracking stats are not a major problem, and could be just a minor bug.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: