News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Tiny Portal Child Board Request

Started by PhilH, September 04, 2005, 11:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilH

I think it would be great to have a childboard for Bloc's Tiny Portal project. The number of users is growing and the board would accomplish a number of things.

1. The board would create a single source for accessing the wealth of talent and support that is available on this forum. The number of Tiny Portal users is growing and I think the growth will accelerate when Tiny Portal(TP) is released as stable. Most of the issues we have are SMF and server related. Also, help with SMF mods as they function in TP would be more organized and more readily accessible.

2. Creation of the childboard would certainly be a show of support for the TP project and TP users. Afterall, if you are a TP user then you are a SMF user since TP is powered by SMF.

I thought about putting this in the mods board but TP is really a portal that happens to be installed as a mod.

For more info on the project Bloc's site is http://www.tinyportal.net

Goudreault

I agree, this would be a very good idea

Miraenda

I have been using SMF for almost 9 months and just recently started testing for TP.  I likewise agree having a childboard for TP would be great.

sits

dtm.exe

I also think that Bloc's TInyPortal is worthy of a child board in Portal Developments.  It really is a great mod :).

I'm moving this topic to Site Comments.  I feel it's better suited there.

Ray™

Hey look Bloc you got your own child board now :D
arcade-Only (over 800 Games)
http://www.arcade-only.com
Hand Made Ceramics
http://cbr.rranderson.com

dtm.exe

Quote from: Ray on September 08, 2005, 10:28:11 AM
Hey look Bloc you got your own child board now :D

Where?  I don't see one...

forsakenlad

Hmm, Tinyportal is already discussed and supported in its own website... I wonder if Bloc would want a childboard here...
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

IchBin™

Either way, when Bloc releases this mod to the public it will be a huge success. I wouldn't mind seeing a board here for it. But www.tinyportal.net is good too.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

PhilH

Quote from: forsakenlad on September 08, 2005, 11:20:08 AM
I wonder if Bloc would want a childboard here...

I am sure that he would...he just is too humble and polite to ask for it himself.

forsakenlad

Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

bloc

I wouldn't mind a childboard for the mod, but the need has to be there... :)

Isaac

I think if Bloc were to get a Child Board, then other MOD creators would ask for one too.  And whe n their request gets denied because the need isn't there, they might get angry and stop producing MODs.  :-\

Miraenda

TinyPortal isn't really just a mod, it acts like a mod for installation, but it is a portal just like other portals in the portals development (not mods) area? I could see arguing it isn't well used enough yet for a childboard in that location, but no-one wanted it to have a childboard in the mods area heh.  The original post was in portal developments before it was moved.

bloc

Can be confusing yes, since it installs like a mod.

But again, there is simply no warrant reason for it. Mambo got its own board on because of said needs...so even if the intentions here are good, :) I am having a hard time seeing this come into action.

And Isaac, if you are implying I am using my position to push this, you are wrong. I certainly don't want this based on that.

Isaac

Quote from: Bloc on September 09, 2005, 08:56:47 PM
And Isaac, if you are implying I am using my position to push this, you are wrong. I certainly don't want this based on that.
Oh, I wasn't implying anything at all.  I just wanted the potential negative side to this to be posted.  I hate always being the one to spoil the fun. :P

Ray™

Man --I have been using TP for a while now and talk about support -- When I have had a problem and I mean anything Bloc has always and I will say ALWAYS fixed it- and in a day or so, not weeks. It has been us, the members that thought it would be a good idea to have this here not BLoc. It was the members that started this and then we let him know that we did. All I can say is I have been using bbs boards for a really long time and TP and the support has been the best :D

Now can I have my 5 dollars Bloc??
arcade-Only (over 800 Games)
http://www.arcade-only.com
Hand Made Ceramics
http://cbr.rranderson.com

crazystu

well I see bloc's tiny portal does need allot of support, but so does every portal including my SimplePortal which I get even more because it doesn't have any admin at all.
TP is a good portal, don't let me down but it doesn't need to have a subforum.
tinyportal.net I think will do for now...

kateydrop

QuoteNow can I have my 5 dollars Bloc??

ahahahaha good one.

I hate to say but does anyone have a dictionary for 'child board'...lmaooooo

Anyway I wanted to support bloc  on this subject so lets applaud him in style - all of us for the work and support he gives to us all.

hurrah for bloc. many thanks for all you do for this community
"I am the way, the truth, and the life - no one comes to the father except through me.

xtremecruiser

I have been testing TP and so many other portal options lately and I think it needs its own area here too.

redone

Bloc should have a child board called "Bloc".

I support the idea of a child board for the tiny portal.

;)

bloc

Miraenda

Hmm, maybe all childboards should be renamed to child blocs even ;D

Nah, that might be going to far :P

JayBachatero

I think they should have a child board for TP  I havent used it but ive seen it in action and it looks very powerfull.  Also i think it could develop into SMF CMS.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Isaac

redone

I think we are all seeing as sweeping push behind this demand for a child board for tiny portal. On a side note we all know bloc has done a lot of good in the community with his many excellent theme's and he has helped numerous people out.

Could it be considered a thank you for his contribution to the SMF community maybe?

;)

p.s I have added a poll open for seven days. Please vote.

azjr247

Tiny portal is a phenomenal addition!!  It makes any SMF forum bring out its best !!!   WE need a child board here !!   Nobody can deny the fact that Bloc was done so much to make SMF a popular Board out there !!!   8)

WSA

I agree.  Tiny Portal is absolutely awesome. 

Much easier to use than Mambo and it fits seamlessly into SMF.  Awesome work Bloc!!!!!

JayBachatero

Im beta testing it and i think its awsome,  im still trying to get used to certain thing bu so far so good.  i think im going to use it for my site.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

redone

The way I see this too right now most people find Tinyportal and assume that you need to be some kind of special tester. Well, yes you do need to register at Tinyportal and yes you need to post in a thread that says "I want to be a beta tester" but that is it!

Posting in one thread at tinyportal.net will get you access to this excellent portal. If you are reading this thread and are considering it then I suggest you give TP a try and you won't be disappointed.

~redone

WSA

beemer

Here's my vote for a "Bloc TinyPortal Child Board - BTPCB"   >:(
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC1
MKP 1.1 RC1
Helios Multi RC1
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thefishsheadnhorsesarse.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC2
TinyPortal 0.8.6

Redeye

I think that Tiny Portal and Bloc in particular are deserving of recognition.

My only negative against a child board is that Bloc would have 2 forums posting bugs, requests, etc., etc., . That may just produce duplicate posts for things that have already been sorted on www.tinyportal.net . IMHO I would think Bloc is better off without a child board a present, at least all the posts are hitting one board.

Bloc Rules!

mitchell784

I really havent heard anyone say no to this so I say bloc is owed at least this for making smf in a opinion so much better!
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

~Albert Einstein

xvian

i'd say it will be a form of recognition to Bloc for all his work done for SMF and TP to integrate it perfectly. a child board of course! :)

redone

I was involved in this topic in the beginning. I think from Bloc's feedback in the past he prefers one forum for TP support and right now that's www.tinportal.net

It has been mentioned before he prefers one location to track such things and I can see how that would make sense. Everyone is really grateful for bloc's hardwork both community members and staff members here.

:)

anunlike

I think it'd be cool if there was an area / board on here where announcements, updates, etc. could go for TP.

But, I agree that TinyPortal.net is enough for what he needs / wants. There doesn't need to be two places when one will suffice.

Advertisement: